Saturday, August 30, 2008

Run for Your Life!

That's the kind of thing we're hearing down here. So, we're buggin' out.

Been busy getting things and people ready. We had flights to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, but we'd be flying right into Gustav's nasty east-side outer bands and Tropical Storm Hanna's threatening that area and mucking up the scene. So, we're leaving around 3:00 AM and driving 4.5 hours east to Destin/Miramar Beach. We got the hurricane evacuation special at a really nice beachfront condo, (yes, several properties actually have such deals), so we'll have front-row seats for some tropical storm-level drama.

Actually, they expect the weather to be pretty decent over there tomorrow, at least until the late afternoon. We'll see. In any event, there are many things to do in the area (some even in bad weather) that will help keep my sensitive childrens' minds off of the bedlam. This is always my primary concern with this worrisome hurricane bullshit. That's why we ran off to Disney World last time.

As with Katrina, Rachel is very excited about our evacucation. Alex is old enough now to be very tuned in to the tragic possibilities. I have to admit, it's kind of nice to have another adult (even if he's a junior member)

This one looks like another really bad one, many are saying worse than Katrina, particularly given its approach. New Orleans will be on the evil east-side of the eye, where the meanest winds rage and the heaviest rainfall occurs. With a projected storm surge of 20-25 feet (last I heard), the West Bank of the city is assured of SERIOUS innundation and the East Bank (my side) still has its share of weaknesses in flood protection.

I'd love to sit and write more, but I've got way too many things yet to do before we drive off into the sunrise. No sleep for me tonight.

Say some prayers for the folks in New Orleans and on the South Coast tonight, and for my insane friends and neighbors who are staying, despite the STERN warnings to do otherwise. (Do it even if you don't believe in God; it certainly won't hurt anything.)

I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me before long.

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Brenda in FWB said...

You're evacuating to my neck of the woods (Fort Walton Beach). Be safe on the road. I'm praying for weakening, shears, anything that will cause the storm to weaken.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Schroeder said...

You should be safe there. Good luck with the house and other loved ones. See you on the other side.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

My thoughts and prayers are always with you!! (Even thought I'm agnostic) I will say prayers for you or loved ones, and your house!!

If you need or want anything from me, just email or call me directly (call collect if you need too). I can't believe this is happening again.

Much love and hope being sent your way.

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Brenda in FWB said...

Please let us know you made it to Destin safely. Maybe you and the kids can watch some surfers this afternoon. We're probably going to ride out to the beach this afternoon to see the waves.

Even though I don't know you, I enjoy your blog. If I can do anything for you while you're here, please feel free to contact me. Brenda, phone: eight five zero, eight six two-zero two five three.

1:59 PM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT HELL DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT.

Stay safe.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Hope you made it safely to your unscheduled beachside 'holiday'all is as ok as it can be under the circumstances. I have been watching the weather radar and seeing that you are getting a lashing already in your new location.

Thinking of you all.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous muse said...

How are you Lisa, how are things? Thinking about you (can't believe you're faced with this again!)

1:11 PM  
Blogger IAH said...

I'm thinking about you and your family. Hope you guys are OK.

Love,
Ingrid

1:52 PM  
Blogger oyster said...

Happy belated Birthday, LisaPal!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Andrea Himmelsehr said...

Have you returned after Gustav? I live in League City, just north of Galveston, and Ike wasn't nice at all. But we are back home and things are about 85% normal here- south 12 miles in Galveston it may never be again. Enjoy your blog!

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Charlotte said...

You've been tagged, girlfriend! Come back to the blogosphere!
http://charleyana.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/6-random-things-about-me-meme/

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home