Sunday, October 21, 2007

Hopefully, It Won't End Like the Summer of George

If you're a Seinfeld fan, you know what I'm talking about.

Disappointing birthdays seem to abound this season for different reasons. An important someone seemed to have forgotten Rachel's for the second year in a row and I spent part of mine in the ER after a stupid accident (details here). It's been a while since I've done anything really fun, with the exception of the Saturday night when Dangerblond, Rachel and I formed the Big Easy Bowler-Girls. (We let Renard be an honorary Bowler Girl that night, too.)

Anyway, we know what all work and no play does to a person, especially anyone living in our little dystopia. So I declared this weekend my mini version of the Summer of George. (I've already got the mid-morning nap thing down.) No work, just fun and indulgence. So yesterday, my only chore was to vote and the rest of the day was for letting that eternal kid inside me play with my other little girl, the one who says we don't do enough fun things together like we used to once-upon-a-different-life when we lived in our own house.

And play we did. I bought us both birthday presents: roller skates and Heelys. (If you don't know what Heelys are, you'll see in the video. I couldn't find any links that I thought would stand the test of time.)

I had to have Heelys after seeing Ray's son Liam gliding around in them. I have absolutely no regrets about this purchase. After skating on the levee, Rachel and I tried the Heeleys out in the safety of my mom's den with pillows strapped to our butts, just in case. At first I couldn't glide around on them without making a goofy face and putting both arms up over my head like I was a flying superman. (I didn't even realize I was doing this until my mother started cracking up every time I went by.)

Thanks to this neat little iSight webcam built into the MacBook Pro, I captured video of our first round on the Heelys. We were supposed to be dancing, but it looks like I was the only one who remembered this. These videos will probably be very boring to anyone but Rachel and me, but maybe one day we'll be glad they're here for posterity.

The first video was taken once I kinda got the hang of it. Rachel played her choice of music.


video

The following video was taken after I lost my groove and had to resort to my superman approach again. (I actually put a cape on after this, just to amuse myself.) By the way, it was my choice of music this time and I'm being deliberately goofy, in case that's not obvious. I can't wait to get those things on my feet again.


video

I just had a premonition of someone saying to his/her self, "this girl, who accidentally rammed her head into a tree stump, went and bought herself some Heelys? " The mini Summer of George isn't over yet and I guess if I'm not careful with these things, it could still end up like his did. But I'm betting against that outcome.

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I'm entering into a season of "not fun" on my side of the world - looks like i could do with a pair of them too! Good to see your are having a break in the clouds.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous charlotte said...

Lisa, that looks like so much fun!
I used to dance around the house like that but it's been a looong time. Heely's, huh? Think I need some too.
May I say again how beautiful your child is?? (((hugs))) to both of you.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous ashley said...

That's the best birthday gift I could have received. Yo', shake your pillow, baby!

Next stop: rollergirls.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

Extremely cool. Y'all look to be having so much fun. Thanks for sharing it with us.

8:42 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Do it! Get some!! They're so much fun. I think everyone should have a pair of these things, along with a good health insurance policy. (Or lots of fluffy pillows.)

I also love the way it freaked my 19 year-old son out when I picked him up tonight and then nonchalantly heeled over to open the door. When will he get it through his head that 45 is NOT OLD!!! Sophmom, you've got big boys to freak out, too. It's really fun, but you probably already know that. ;-D

Charlotte, dancing around the house is one of my favorite things to do when no one's around, which means it pretty much never happens over here. I think you should take it up again, as it's the next best thing to dancing and heeling, and it's definitely very uplifting.

Ashley, I'm glad you enjoyed the butt-shakin' antics. The long, uncensored version of this video has some serious booty-poppin' pillow action in it. (Without a pillow, I really can't pull that move off with any credibility.) By the way, I've traded my pie-in-the-sky RollerGirl dreams for the safer and more attainable fantasy of being a world class BowlerGirl.

12:06 AM  
Anonymous ray said...

Ya know, you don't really need the badunkadunk falsies, you work it just fine without.

Are those really tied on with tae kwon do belts?

12:21 AM  
Blogger Michael Homan said...

Pillow strapped to the caboose was a nice precaution.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

That was great! Made this Tuesday morning a whole lot brighter. And the pillows...Loved'em!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Dr. A said...

Wow! Loved the videos! What a fun thing to do!
I had no idea that they made heelies for adults! Where did you get them? I might have to try them out!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Ingrid said...

These videos are great!

3:20 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Ray, I definitely don't need a prosthetic ass, (though a little lift and some breadth reduction would be okay), but a pillow makes workin' the badunkadunk much more fun. And yes, that's a Tae Kwon Do belt. Alex made it to green belt, I think, before that ended.

Michael, I have no doubt that had I foregone the pillow, I would have needed one to sit down for a week afterwards. Rachel actually gets credit for the idea.

Dr. A., we got them at Academy on Clearview and Jefferson Hwy. They have them for kids and adults but no half-sizes, so mine are a little on the big side, not that it matters much.

Here's a caveat for future adult heelers: doing the glide-thing great fun, but it's not as easy as the kids make it look. It didn't take me too long to get the hang of the very basic glide, albeit with Superman arms and the goofy face. But the next day, it was like learning it all over again. And I won't speak of the incredible pain in the muscles of my left inner-thigh, which are used to stabilize the stance when the right foot is forward (or vice versa). It helps to switch the forward foot, but that's like learning to write well with your non-dominant hand. It can be done, but it takes some work.

You should see Rachel on those Heelys now. She turns and spins around like it's nothing. I hope I get there one day. It's going to be fun trying!

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the videos.

Erika, you've got two cuties there, and your son was absolutely adorable in his television debut. That event reminds me of Earth Day at Audubon Zoo, with the learning activities, stamps and gifts.

Ingrid, it's so good to hear from you! Please drop me an e-mail and let me know how you are.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

dang, you gals can dance!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

Somehow, my first time through I missed the link to the pic of your, um, head injury. Yikes! That skin superglue is something. I hope you're all healed up now.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home