Thursday, January 11, 2007

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
And I'm So Proud of Them.
All of Them.

Photo by Humid City (Loki/Alexis). Cropped and tweaked a little by me.

Today would have been my father's 80th birthday and I would have posted something about him here, now, but there's something far more important that I have to celebrate: The beautiful solidarity of my people. My people. Yes, I'm talking about my NOLA Blog Brothers and Sisters, but not just them because they're just one part of the whole of it. I'm talking about all the good people of my city New Orleans, those who were present in great numbers at today's march against crime, and those who were there in spirit. They all count. I was one of those there is spirit. But I swelled with pride and could not stop the tears as I watched the news broadcast of citizens from across the spectrum of race and class assemble at City Hall to send the clear message to the Powers That Be that we've had enough.

Bart Everson addresses the crowd. Photo by Alan Guiterrez.

Two of today's speakers came from the ranks of the NOLA bloggers. Bart Everson (aka Editor B of B-Rox) gave a very moving speech and Karen Gadbois (Northwest Carrollton) also spoke, and from what I heard, didn't mince her words. The mayor and other city officials were not offered a turn at the podium. I was happy to See Ray Nagin (for a change) with that tail-between-the-legs look on his face as he stood and listened. You can read Bart's speech here, and watch his interview with Anderson Cooper here. I hope someone captured Karen's speech or a transcript is eventually posted somewhere.


Karen Gadbois speaks. Photo by Humid City (Loki/Alexis).

By the way, I'm glad that a certain assumption about this event was wrong. Very wrong.

An impressive showing from Central City. Photo by Mark Folse of Wet Bank Guide.

I'm still so disappointed that I couldn't attend. This is the just the kind of event that ignites a fire in me. But the NOLA bloggers were out in force and The Mighty Adrastos was taking names... NOLA Slate, Traveling Mermaid, Dangerblond, Loki, Maitri, El Senor Wet, Celcus, Ashley, Morwen, Alan, Schroeder, Varg, Michael Homan and from Houma, Donnie McDaniel. I'm sure I'm missing someone...

Be sure to click on those names to read their impressions of the day.

Here are shots of some of our fine NOLA bloggers in action. You can see lots more pictures in the Silence is Violence pool on Flickr. I know lots more of the blog crew took pictures that are not in the pool and I hope they'll be added soon. I saw some great ones taken by Derek (spouse of G-Bitch.)

Representin': Adrastos, Gentilly Girl and Ashley Morris. Photo by Mark Folse of Wet Bank Guide.


Guess which one is Dangerblond... Photo by Humid City (Loki/Alexis).

Holding signs, red-shirted Maitri, (and that's D on her right), Half-Hidden Loki, and Adrastos. Photo by Humid City (Loki/Alexis).

You can see Loki's face this time... Photo by Humid City (Loki/Alexis).


Again, my thanks to Bart and Karen and to the others who spoke out, and to all 3000 or so of you who participated. Thanks you for showing up and for speaking out on behalf of the victims who are no longer here to speak for themselves and for all of us who care deeply but couldn't be there. Right now I'm so filled with love for my city and its people. Today was the first day in a long time that I wept, but without sorrow or sadness.

Update: I heard an estimate of 5000 people in attendance on NPR morning edition. I can't remember a time when any kind of local activism produced this kind of turnout.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Lisa said...

I saw that sign of the fleur de lis on the news and its the one that stuck in my mind...funny how no words can say so much.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Power too the people!

Thinking of you. AOF

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO NOT PISS OFF THE LADIES!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Karen said...

ooops that was me.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so hoping to finally meet you - sorry you couldn't make it. Your post is wonderful!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Adrastos said...

We missed ya, sweetie. Great post.

9:41 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

You're right, Lisa M., that torn-apart heart bearing our fleur de lis really did capture the feeling of not just the day, but every day since August 29, 2005.

AOF, it really was a powerful day for the people.

Karen, wow! Thanks for posting your speech. You packed so much power in those words. Oh, the visual images...

Mermaid, rest assured, we'll get a chance to meet before long. I think we're overdue for a Geek Dinner.

Don't you agree, Adrastos?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

Sorry you missed it. I was something to see!

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

It really was something, wasn't it? Even just watching from afar (albeit with a very good lens - ya'll), I can feel the energy, the shift, the sense that somehow something has changed and that, this time, it might not change back.

This is something that seems to me to feel better and better, the more I consider it.

Great post, Lisa. I love the heart too. Thanks for the shout.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home