Sunday, January 14, 2007

40 Years in the Desert and We Can Finally See the Promised Land

I tried really hard to find a picture of Holy Moses, our most famous Saints fan, but with no luck.

On November 10, 1967, the New Orleans Saints won their first game of their first season. They defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 31 to 24. My dad took this photo the day of that game.

(Pictured from right to left, my brother Michael, Andrea, his future wife, my sister Danna, and Joey, her future ex-boyfriend. Somewhere there's a version of this shot with little 5 year-old me in it, but I couldn't find it, either.)

Today, after 40 years of pain, after the Saints have made history by defeating the Eagles once more, advancing to the final four. Next week, we play for the conference championship. If we win, it's off to the ...the... the...

SUPERBOWL!

Honestly, I just cannot get my head around this. After all this time, after the bag-head seasons and the close-but-no-cigar seasons, the idea is just blowing my circuits.

Tonight's game almost killed me. I mean that. I had so much adrenaline pumping through my veins that I thought I was going to blow a major artery. I had to get the yoga mat out and at one point, I actually had to start doing headstands to get myself calmed.

And I know I wasn't the only one who suffered through this one. Jebus! What a game. It's going to take the whole weak to recover from the stress. Mom said she's going to put Xanax in the kingcake for next weekend's game.

I was a little disappointed in how the team played tonight, with the exception of the faked punt. But needless to say, I'm just thrilled beyond belief that we've made it this far.

Amen!

Deuce McAlister should be canonized (really!) for his role in the win.

Here's the 2007 version of the Saints Defeat the Eagles sofa picture. It was lovely being in the middle of this mother-daughter sandwich. I didn't shrink, I'm just slouched way down. Mom's fun to watch a game with, but it's hard to keep Rachel still.

GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS! GO SAINTS!
All the way!

7 Comments:

Anonymous ashley said...

Here's the best I could do:

http://weathersreport.wordpress.com/files/2006/04/000_0229_1.JPG

4:53 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Xanax in the cake? Wow. Maybe we should just put Xanax in the water supply -- that would certainly help to calm a lot of anxiety over the host of other things going on in town. Of course, we'd have to put some amphetamines in Ray Nagin's faucet.

9:19 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Thanks, Ashley. I can work with that one. It's amazing that there aren't more photos of that guy.

Schroeder, there's no question about that, but just giving Nagin amphetamines without giving him a brain and a conscience might only serve to get us nowhere faster.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Loki said...

If I am contmplating watching my first ever SuperBowl you know its major. Check my site for my own overly theatrical offer to the community should they make it...

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

You guys are adorable. I want to see Loki dressed up like a cheerleader.

I'm so happy for you guys. Go Saints!

12:37 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Well, Sophmom, I did the best I could on a Loki sneak preview. (See the 1/20 post.)

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moses is my uncle. If you wanted a photo of him, I'm sure he would love to help you out. And I agree there should be more photos of him as he has been cheering on the saints for years (30 yrs.)
Contact me: lwh95@live.com

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home