Thursday, September 28, 2006

Candy You Ate as a Kid

File under: Nostalgia (if Blogger actually let you do that kind of thing.)

If you don't regularly visit Electronic Ephemera, one of the blogs manned by my internet husband, Richard (with an occasional contribution from me and from Muse, his internet mistress -- it's okay, we have an open relationship), you're missing out on a plethora of interesting stuff.

Not too long ago, Richard posted a link for Candy You Ate as a Kid. How could I resist checking that out?

Holy smoke!!! Candy and chocolate cigarettes and gum cigars!!! I remember them well. And Chocolate Babies (don't ask me what I remember people here in New Orleans calling those), Mallo-Cups, and oh, the gums...Hot Dogs, Gold Mine, Fruit Stripe and my ever favorite, Adams Sour Apple and Sour Cherry. And there were Violets, and all the Ferrara Pan candies (like Atomic Fire Balls). And they even have those cinnamon toothpicks. Wow! And Wax Bottles and Wax Lips! Oh, the memories. Even though I'm not much of a candy eater, I had to place an order for the sake of nostalgia.

Here's what I got:



Just for fun, I knew I had to have the Chocolate Cigarettes. Ummmmm, ummm! Milk chocolate from Holland. Deeeee-licious. (A few bloggers like Schroeder, Maitri, Loki and G-Bitch can attest to that, as we shared a "smoke" on Loki's birthday.) I'm going to buy a couple of cartons next time I order. I was looking for a candy I remember that was in a chocolate cup with a white creamy filling. I tried the Mallo Cup and the Cup-o-Gold and both were a bust. Long after I ordered, though, I found the Valo Milk Cups, so I'll try those in the next order, when the Chocolate Babies come in. And even though I missed those Space Food Sticks in the first round, I'm not sure I want to order them --but they are a big piece of my 1969/1970 food nostalgia.


Check this place out for all your favorites, or better still, get an order together with friends and save on shipping. Nostalgia is good eatin'.
-------------
*Initially posted, then removed while under the confused influence of Ambien. Sorry, Richard, for making you think you hallucinated it.

*Do I win some kind of prize for my high ratio of links to words?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Adrastos said...

All right, doll, dish on the chocolate babies thing. If it's too offensive (and it may well be) use shorthand.

9:16 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Um...okay...think Chocolate Babies as in Chocolate City.

Maybe I should have said, "don't ask me what I remember insensitive white people here in New Orleans in the 1960s/1970s calling those..."

You've probably got it now.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Damian said...

Did you ever have those gummy teeth things - they were a bit like a big gummy denture, with the same texture as a milk bottle candy, but shaped like teeth and gums. We used to jam them in front of our own teeth and make buck-toothed faces at eachother before chewing down into all their sticky goodness.

We had a corner store where you could walk in and ask for 10c worth of mixed lollies (Australian for candy). If you got 50c worth you needed a friend to share then with or you would probably be sick from the quantity.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous aShley said...

ZOTZ!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I'll never forget the day a decade I go I walked into White Drug in Detroit Lakes, MN (the Waveland of the North) and found a table covered with Gold Brick and other easter delights. My wife had to stop me from just sweeping the entire table top (even the Maple ones) into a cart.

4:23 PM  
Blogger celcus said...

Space Food Sticks! They did exist! I had begun to wonder if they went just some figment of my childhood imagination.

5:26 PM  
Blogger muse said...

ROTFL!! "Internet mistress"... mwah-ah-ah!!

Well, it shows that I do have some good taste in my relationships, at least! LOL :)

Hey Lisa, have you read Candy Freaks? I'm finishing it right now, and it's all about candy nostalgia, etc. Lots of links there too... actually, let me find you a couple more:

www.candyfavorites.com
www.groovycandies.com
www.sweetnostalgia.com
www.typetive.com/candyblog
www.yummies.com (this one is in Maine, I visited it in person... and left with two gigantic bags! LOL)

BTW, you're a candy lover too?!?

Richard, would it be ok if I cheated on you with your Internet wife? I mean, the girl-girl thing is not really my department, but that's just too much to resist... all that _and_ a candy lover... *swoons*

LOLLOL

10:24 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Muse dear, you can exchange candy with whomever you want, male or female. Here on the internet you can experiment with all flavors. Lisa likes chocolate, I prefer redhots. To each thier own. We're all candy lovers after all.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Sophmom said...

I love Mallo-cups, but recently I've been on a GooGoo Cluster binge. I found them in a Stuckey's on the way to Wilmington NC for The Oldest's graduation last May. Then I ran across some in a Chevron here in the A-town, but after a while I bought them all and they didn't order any more. Then on the way back from NOLA in August, I found some in a convenience store off of I-65 in the middle of nowhere, Alabama and bought a shameful number of them, but, alas, they are gone now, so I will likely be ordering my GooGoos (I like the pecan kind, not the peanut - gold rather than silver wrapper) from this wonderful site you've found. Thanks!!! :)

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you???? Delivering candy still?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

*pops in to see if you are around* It's been a month. We miss you :)

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home