Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It Was a Hot, Geeky Night...

Oh, yes. It was a hot night indeed, when a gaggle of geeks gathered at the home of Alan Gutierrez of Think New Orleans for the first New Orleans Geek Dinner, attended by a bunch of bloggers and other web and computer-savvy types.

Photos here. (Mine)
And here. (Maitri's)
And here. (Loki's)
Here, too. (Editor B's)

What a great and life-affirming evening for this girl, who seems to have been living out Groundhog Day for the last several months. Real, live people. Different faces and places. I feel like I'm alive again!

At the top of my Must Meet list were Schroeder (People Get Ready) and Adrastos, the two local bloggers with whom I've been having the most bonding experiences in the Comments Sections of our respective posts. Both have made me crack up with laughter more times than I can count and as we all know, in these times, the importance of a good laugh cannot be overstated. (And don't be fooled by the seriousness of the issues addressed by Schroeder on PGR. Just look at some of the comments he leaves hither and yon.) I am duly awed by the Adrastos revelation of having played bass for a while with one of my favorite bands, The Tubes, back in the days when they were good. (Albums 1, 2, & 3.) Adrastos and I also appear to have soaked up a lot of the same elements of the 1970s sub-cultural zeitgeist. (Okay, maybe not just 1970's...)

Also up there on the list is Ashley Morris, whose status is of legend and lore. Not only is he an International Man of Intrigue, and the one who single-handedly took the name Sinn Fein from Irish Rebels and made it the cry of solidarity for fed-up New Orleanians in the blogosphere and beyond, but he's also a quite compelling mime. And when I'm fuming mad about things being said about or done to us here in my beloved city, I know I can count on Ashley to give my feelings a perfectly articulated voice. Ashley, don't ever change.

A prominent figure in the evening's event was The Amazing Maitri, who took on hostess duties with Alan and who seems to find time to do it all. Maitri ranks as the most *together* person I know in this town. I want to be just like her when I grow up, but I don't think anyone will prescribe a high-enough dosage of amphetamines for me to do so. Dangerblond, too, was on the scene, as always offering a good camera pose and plenty of laughs.

There were lots of others present from my blogroll who I'd hoped to meet. There was Oyster of Your Right Hand Thief who, along with Schroeder of PGR ranks among the NOLA bloggers I've been reading for the longest period of time. (I'd actually gotten to meet him, Maitri, Dangerblond, Ashley and Peter and Jeffrey of Library Chronicles, and Blake AKA Humid Haney at our previous Rising Tide planning sessions. More on that later.) I was glad to meet Michael Homan, my soul brother (we're having almost identical insurance experiences with our eerily similar troubled houses) and his enchanting daughter Kalypso, along with Loki of Humid City, whose jambalaya was so tasty I could have easily embarrassed myself with unrestrained indulgence, Editor B, Ray in Austin New Orleans (whose adorable son will be in the same grade at the same school as my daughter this fall), Gentilly Girl, Karen from Northwest Carrollton, and Mark Folse of Wet Bank Guide. And Sharon (Sophmom) came all the way from Atlanta to join the fun.

There were other people there, with and without blogs and I regret that I didn't get to meet and talk to them all. But keep an eye on the blogroll, as we grow to be a larger and more cohesive group.

I can truly say that I had a wonderful time. I can't wait until we get together again. What a terrifc group of people you are. I love you all!

18 Comments:

Blogger Schroeder said...

What an amazing photo -- my God, it was hot that night! I wouldn't have guessed that Brie could do that.

Anyway, thanks for posting the photos. You have a good eye for candid shots. I enjoyed them all. I wish now I had brought my camera.

11:33 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Thanks! You must have me on the feed, as I just finished the post now, at 5:07 AM.

5:13 AM  
Blogger compelled1 said...

I'm moving back to NOLA in a few months. Whatcha think about that? No, really...whatcha think?

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

I was a bit nervous to meet all of you who actually know how to type. I think I should subtitle my Blog, The Handknit Sweater of Blogs..Lumpy and Uneven

8:15 AM  
Blogger muse said...

What a neat idea (that promo thing, and the whole "let's get together with fellow bloggers" in general)!

I wish I could do something like that... but all my blogger friends are from other countries! LOL

Ah, well, just wait 'til I have my house. I may yet do something...

Glad to read that you had a great time!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous GentillyGirl said...

POOP! I had my camera with me, and I forgot that it was in my bag.

Looking at the pics I realized that it was hot that night. I look like hell. (Must find a hairdresser!)

Once our house is fixed, count on many Geek Dinners there.

I so much enjoyed meeting the folks that I did get to meet. I want to know all of you! I'm still on Cloud Nine from that night.

Be Blessed!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous adrastos said...

Great post, Lisa. I'm flattered that I rank up there with Schroeder. You and he were at the top of my list because of our comment and email interraction.

It's too true about Schroeder's comments. They show his Shecky side.

Mowren: I agree about the afterglow from the party. Dr A and I plan to throw a blogger party once we get the door on our hall bathroom fixed. I don't want Ashley locked in there. God only knows, what he'd do...LOL

1:24 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Ty[pwe Karne? Wuat nakse uoy thimk anu uf ux kan tipe?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

compelled -- it might be easier to answer your question if you explain why you want to come to New Orleans ...

8:08 PM  
Anonymous adrastos said...

Perhaps she feels compelled to hang out with bloggers? Loves debris piles? Has a thing for Charlie Foti?

Damn, Schroeder, you are ubiquitous today.

11:28 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Brandy (Compelled One), ya wanna know what I think of that idea??? Well, I'd love for you to come back here! Really, I would. But to live here? I can't help but think WHY????? You have a great job up there in NYC, right? Well, there aren't many of those down here right now, unless you want to be a truck driver, work in fast food or in construction. We've got plenty of those jobs. And rents are sky-high, when you can find an available apartment. Then, there's everything else. Problems everywhere. It's just a reality-check, sweety.

I know you love the city and your friends here. I really can feel that. But it's summertime in New Orleans and believe me, the livin' is anything but easy. And we're rolling into the peak of hurricane season. If you have some secret plan for mitigating the misery of life here without jeopardizing your personal, emotional and financial well-being, by all means come on back. Just make sure you know what you're getting into, first.

Now, if we're talking about a visit, that's different and I'm 100% for that! In fact, I think you should definitely come and see how things are here for yourself. There's no substitute for the reality. (Warning: it's still pretty ugly, even after all this time. But it's spirit, though injured, is still beautiful.) Please e-mail me or call me anytime if you want to talk more about this.

Karen, there's nothing lumpy and uneven about your blog!!! However, I just realized that I'm not really a Northwest Carrollton but an Upper Carrolton resident. No matter. I'm only out by 4 blocks and the business at the Big Ugly Intersection affects us just as much it affects you guys on the other side of Claiborne.

Muse, for months now, I've been trying to figure out how to wrangle a ticket for you to come down here. Knowing you as I do, you would absolutely love New Orleans, even as it is now. You're a quirky enough girl to completely understand and appreciate us. And we kinda have that French thing going on here, too. Plus, I think a diversion would be a good thing for you right now, n'est-ce pas? Our big blogger summit is comming up. (More on that soon.) Anyone out there got some extra frequent flyer miles sitting around? This girl would be one of the most worthy recipients I know of!

Gentilly Girl, you looked cool as a cucumber to me. Barely a glaze of sweat on your face! I think between us, we covered the phototography pretty well. I look forward to a future geek event at your place. It sounds really nice. (And I'm still on Cloud Nine, too.)

Adrastos, same goes for the party at your place. I know the music will be good!

Schroeder, if I had to construct one day's worth of your posts, it would take me and my brain a week at the keyboard.

Brandy, Schroeder and Adrastos join me in being dumbfounded at why you would want to come back here. This should be regarded as the three of us gently grabbing you by the shoulders and then shaking the hell out of you and saying, "are you crazy???" This in really not an easy place to live right now. But it seems to be an easy place to leave. Really, lets talk.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Ray in New Orleans said...

The alternate viewpoint: if you can figure out a job and a place to live before you come, and you've been here and looked around and you know what you're getting into and you still want to come, then come on down! It's rough around the edges, but it's still New Orleans, and the people who are still here are lovely.

I couldn't be anywhere else in the world right now.

Comfort isn't everything.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Well compelled, if after reading Lisa's comment, you still feel like you need to be here, I'd say you'll fit right in! Only the strong survive (and we lose a few of those too).

8:00 AM  
Blogger muse said...

Lisa, thanks for the compliment! :)

For the big blogger summit, what sort of dates are you talking about? Getting there is probably not an issue (budget or not, I find ways to "rearrange" things when I'm properly motivated... LOL!), this year my big problem is time (with all the medical appointments that I have these days I'm burning all my "banked time"... mind you, I might be able to move some of my actual vacation!)

Keep us posted on dates and such, and who knows, you might have a visit from a northern frog! (that's what anglo-canadians call us - "frogs", I mean!) LOL

8:02 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I wanna go!! I wanna go!!!

8:26 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

I said Muse would be one of the most worthy recipients of idle frequent flyer miles because there's more than one person on the list. The other is Richard. But Richard, I thought you might need three. But if you guys could swing it, I'd be elated. The event will take place from 8/25 to 8/27. We're still putting it all together, but I'll keep you posted.

Brandy responded to everyone's comments in the next post, so I'm heading over there to follow up...

10:16 AM  
Anonymous ashley said...

Muse: Here's the rising tide site. And if you come, bring me a smoked meat from Schwartz's. One time I made the mistake of trying to order viande fumee.

3:36 PM  
Blogger muse said...

Ashley: wow, un connaisseur! :) I was actually thinking about whether I could smuggle a whole pile of poutine for everyone... LOL

Thanks for the link!

I don't think I'll be able to make it (not sure yet), August is going to be a crazy month for me, but I'm still toying with the idea...

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home