Friday, June 23, 2006

People, Get Ready!


B-Up Soda (with Lithium)
Originally uploaded by LisaPal.
In honor of the pervasive anxiety, depression, PTSD, the resurgence of violent crime and the return of the National Guard to New Orleans, I've resurrected my photo of this bottle of B-Up Soda (with Lithium), a local product circa 1948-49. Perhaps someone should start bottling this stuff again.

I sat down tonight for a midnight snack of some of the best gumbo my mom has ever made and to watch the second run of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, only to see last night's post played out by Stephen Colbert and guest, Douglas Brinkley, author of The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. My part was played by Brinkley and Colbert played the part of the Katrina Fatigued American. Did they read my last post or am I having another post-solstice psychic solar flare? After all, it was one year ago today that I foretold of The Great Flood (even if I didn't realize it at the time.) And I'm still a little peeved that no one acknowledged this when I pointed it out on September 3, 2005! I want my props, dammit! Grrrrrr! Thank God a fellow blogger showed up in that dream or I wouldn't have posted it at all. So, thanks Kevin! Feel free to drop by in my Terre Des Reves anytime, particularly in advance of the Next Horror, but be sure to remind me to pay attention when I wake up with the vague feeling that there's a portent in there somewhere.

Moving right along...

In the last post, I mentioned the fine New Orleans bloggers who have been sustaining me for the better part of the last 10 months, in growing numbers. Well, I humbly genuflect to one of the finest, Schroeder of People Get Ready, who kindly featured my blog in this post, taking me from my average of 10 unique visitors not looking for sex games and slutware to a bona fide 99, many of whom not just visited, but actually spent lots of time reading. One person even appears to have read the whole thing, from beginning to end over a period of about 5 hours. (I don't know who you are, but I genuflect to you as well.) For the first time in ages, I don't feel like a phantom, roaming the earth unsure if I'm dead or alive and just invisible.

My request for today is simple. Here is a video that my fellow New Orleans bloggers linked to a long time ago but I refrained because I worried too much about your Katrina Fatigue.

This one comes from Kalypso, a 5th grader who wants you to know her city and what its been through. This video was uploaded in mid-March. Not much has changed. And if you peruse her dad's blog, you might notice that his story about a racked house sounds a lot like mine. And his house is even pink with white trim, like mine. When I saw the picture of the front door, I could have mistaken it for my house. The only difference is that he had flood waters inside and he's with All State and I'm with State Farm. He's gotten their engineer's report and verdict and I'm still waiting. I sure hope I end up with better news than he did, because I'm really not feeling up to a fight.



To all you folks who visited for the first time, if you're reading this, it means you came back, and for that I thank you. Let me know who you are and I'll link to you, too, as I'll be adding links frequently, as time permits. (And there are those of you who I have been reading but just haven't gotten around to linking to you yet. I'll get there.)

That's it for tonight, folks.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

During that 5 hours I did pull up another window several times to check the radar to be sure I wasn't going to have to cut the computer off...You need to find a way to publish this in book form..Author may be your real calling. Thank you for taking us along with you.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Ingrid said...

I agree with the above post. You need to get this out to a greater audience. May your writing be as cathartic and healing for you as it is inspirational and powerful for me.

Love to you, Alex and Rachel,
Ingrid

6:14 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

I didn't know you were offering sex games and slutware. I'll be sure to visit more often now ;)

Speaking of slutware, I don't think I'll use this, but it *is* one of the best pieces of rhetorical slamming I've read in a long time:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/22/AR2006062201870.html

8:01 PM  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

I don't care whether some of your fellow country men have Katrina Fatigue. Keep slamming them with the reality of the situation, shutting up only gives them what they want.

It's your life. Scream it as loud as you can :) Write for you, not for anyone else.

I never get sick of your blog - hang in there!

11:16 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Anonymous, I am no less honored! And at least you have a good reason for jumping on the radar. I find myself looking a the GOES satellite images of the western Atlantic a couple of times a day to see if there is anything that remotely resembles the beginnings of a tropical depression- me, the very same girl who, before the 2005 hurricane season, didn't even know if there were hurricanes out there unless someone made it a point to inform me.

And to you and Ingrid, I say thanks for the encouragement. I've had several people suggest the book thing, but I just have such a hard time imagining that more than a dozen or so people would be interested in reading the stuff I write. But what do I know? Do you think publishers reps or literary agents peruse these blogs?

Schroeder, have you checked out any of the Barbies that aren't on the slutware pages? Some of them appear to be involved in sex games. Maybe it's time for me to check out the Mattel pages again. They've given me some great material.

Oh, and the Brittany bit- how perfect. My mom wanted to watch the Dateline show so I ended up seeing it and it lived up to everything every assertion made in that article, and more! Wasn't it Chris Rose who said that Brittany Spears put the 'ho in Tangipahoa? :-o

AOF, you're a love! If we lose the battle over here, will you come and visit me when I set up my New Orleans Cultural Preserve in the (Far) North Island of New Zealand. Renard thinks we should call it New Aukleans, New Zealiana...or something like that. (I'm not kidding, ya know... well, maybe about the name, but not the rest of it.)

Hah! I go to post this and my word verification code is just one letter short of spelling exile. How appropos.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home