Saturday, June 24, 2006

My House During the Flood


My House During the Flood
Originally uploaded by LisaPal.
This picture was taken of my house during the flood by my intrepid neighbor, Justin Winston. I believe that the water had receded by about 6"- 8" at this point. Among the pictures I'd hoped for but were missing from the set were pictures of people walking down the side street in the waste-high water, (yeah, I spelled it that way on purpose), and photos of a blackhawk helicopter flying and hovering and dropping cases of MREs from just above the trees and/or the remaining power lines. Justin reported that during one such operation up the street, the heavy crate bounced off the top of a car and hit the intended recipient, breaking his arm.

8 Comments:

Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

It looks so calm and innocent!

2:38 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Yeah, that's why people like waterfront property so much.

;-D

3:36 AM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

All that's missing are couples swooning in gondolas.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Adrastos said...

Ahh, Schroeder, you're such a romantic...

9:36 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

...couples swooning in gondolas...

I just can't read that without cracking up. I wonder what that means??

2:36 AM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Means? Stripe-shirted gondolier gently guiding with his gondolier pole starry-eyed lovers through flood-destroyed neighborhoods.

Silly ... my first thought was of Venice when I saw your photo.

If you laughed, you got it.

10:56 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

I was actually wondering what it means that those particular four words cracked me up so much. (Do I find such romantic notions laughable?)

Actually, I think it may be the idea of the swoon itself, which conjurs images of some old 1930s romance film, complete with actors wooing and cooing in that quasi-English accent so common in films from that era.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Precisely!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home