Friday, June 30, 2006

Entergy Corporation and Keep America Beautiful Announce Partnership

For Immediate Release:
June 21, 2006
New Orleans, LA

...With more than 14,000 employees servicing 2.7 million utility customers, Entergy recognizes the
environmental impact it has in the communities where it operates.

“Keep America Beautiful is pleased that Entergy is supporting our goal of improving communities nationally by providing both financial support and its employees's volunteer participation. Our partnership is proof that Entergy puts its values into action.”
-
-G. Raymond Empson, president of Keep America Beautiful, Inc.

Yes, and more of that proof can be found in front of my house, where, thanks to a call from my neighbors, the good employees of Entergy found a 30% gas leak. (That's pretty substantial, judging from the intensity of the odor.) They've put Entergy's values into action by scattering ugly trash in the form of more than a dozen empty water bottles and sundry other detritus in and around the two big holes they dug today. (The photomontage only shows a few of them.)

And, in recognition of "the environmental impact it has in the communities where it operates," Entergy has left the gas leak exposed, free to flow without obstruction from the broken main. I'm afraid some poor, olfactory-impaired smoker is going to light up in front of the house and burst into flames. Knowing how things go around here these days, we'll probably be treated to the free gas fumes for several weeks before they show up again.

At the very least, I hope that once all the work is done, they'll return the site to nature, just as our wonderful Sewerage and Water Board has done at the corner of Spruce and Carrollton. This spot, with its flowing spring and crystal clear waters, has become a favorite of all of us in the neighborhood.

We refer to it as The Grotto. It's a great place to cool your heels after a long walk on a hot afternoon. It's surrounded on the west side by natural wetlands and on the east by beautiful sand dunes that meet the shore in a deep drop-off, making it perfect for diving. There's an easy boat launch on the north side, between the wetlands and the dunes, and a stony beach on the south where the water flows into a gentle stream.

This is one place that the neighborhood hopes the city will forget and continue to neglect (as they have for several months now), so we're concocting a story that we hope will encourage its preservation. The story is about a little girl who had a vision of a beautiful lady at that spot. The lady told the little girl about things that were to come, but the girl was told that she couldn't reveal those things until the lady reappeared again at the same spot and told her it was time. After that, a spring formed and it's been claimed the waters there have special healing powers. We'll call the place Rachel's Grotto and we'll build a church on the site and call it The Church of Our Lady of the Leak. I'll have prayer beads carved out of the trunk of the cedar tree that fell in my neighbors yard, (parts of which I have on my porch because they're neat-looking in a very funky sort of way), and I'll sell them in front of the church, along with blessed bottles of water and relics made of pieces of Rachel's old clothes.

Right now, the holes in front of my house look they might qualify as Superfund Sites. But if Entergy will turn over rehab of the holes to the Sewerage & Water Board, all the better. We'll just replicate the plan on Cohn Street and I won't have to travel the extra three blocks to hawk my goods.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw you working on your house in front. I stopped and watched you for a few minutes and you never even noticed my car stopped in the middle of the street. You seemed pretty into whatever you were doing. Looked like scraping and sanding. Lisa, I've used words like "stunning" and "breathtaking" to describe you but what's with those Cindy Brady pigtails? They were cute on you but I need a new word now cuz those don't fit the look. (And your still beautiful.)

5:22 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Maybe you could write the "grotto" into a neighborhood rebuilding plan -- it appearing that green space is going to be a large component of the Nagin anti-plan to rebuild the city.

For inspiration, you might consider the The Broadmoor Green Space Migratory Bird Refuge Wetlands Reclamation Project.

BTW, anyone who can wear pigtails gets extra points in my book ;)

7:20 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

OK, Anonymous, No fair saying stuff like that *anonymously.* Apparently we know each other. Right? Now that I've finished blushing (I don't really know how to else to respond to what you said other than that and by scratching my head), I'll say that I'm not surprised I didn't notice a stopped car in the street because they're stopping all the time to 1) navigate around the giant potholes that I'm pretty sure are visible from the moon and 2) check out the house that's for sale 2 doors down. As for the pigtails, well, what can I say? I'm trying to grow out my hair and I just don't care. (You can sing that, if you want.) The pigtails keep it out of the way and they pay homage to the playful kid in me who alive and quite well.

Now, identify yourself! It's only fair!

Schroeder, The Broadmoor Green Space Migratory Bird Refuge Wetlands Reclamation Project was indeed inspiring. Judging from the pictures, it had evolved even more since I'd seen it. It's tragic that it was lost and I fear that The Grotto may meet the same fate if we give it too much publicity. That's why I think turning it into a religious shrine may be its only hope, at least until The Regime decides to do away with the First Amendment completely.

12:41 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Oh, and Schroeder, thanks for those extra points. (Let me know when I've racked up enough for a prize!)

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we've known each other for years. Just one of probably many admirers that you don't know about and I'd like to keep it that way. Too awkward otherwise and I don't want to mess up our friendship. Hope you understand.

12:21 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

OK. Fair enough.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Overalls would get you a few extra.

12:49 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Add a little blonde dye and a boob job, and I'll be Ellie May Clampet. ("Cause I can fake a southern accent pretty good, y'all. Even if I can't write it.)

11:47 AM  
Blogger Schroeder said...

Even as a kid, I always thought Ellie May Clampet was just too dumb to be of any interest to me as a crush. Of course, back then, I didn't know about the other amenities. Still, boob jobs and fake blondes lose points (neither being required I'm sure in your regard).

1:25 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Phew! What a relief!

I'll have to look into the overalls. They'd probably be pretty comfortable in this heat. (I'd have to cut them off just above the knee, of course.) Gotta grab those extra points wherever I can get 'em.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home