Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Yes! Something Like This!

Finally, something good-different. Yippie!

Okay, I'm throwing the best out first, not last. My favorite neighbors, Kenny and Angelo have asked me, me, to officiate at their wedding. Okay, gay marriages are not recognized in Louisiana, so technically, it's a commitment ceremony. In any event, I'm so excited and incredibly honored to have been asked to do this! I haven't even known them for very long. They only moved into the neighborhood last summer, not long before The Storm. (Kenny bought and moved into the dead girl's house and also bought a duplex in the next block.) I guess we all just bonded right away. Anyway, there's no date set yet, but Kenny says, soon! And I intend to make the boys very pleased with their decision to ask me to do the honnors, because if there is one thing I understand in this world, it's love. It may be the only thing I really, truly understand.

Kenny also offered us the vacant side of the duplex to move into while we wait for our house to be repaired. I'm not sure if I'll take him up on this or not right now, because I'm afraid that it may take a long time for our house to be habitable and he's been keeping the apartment vacant because he plans to start a business and operate it from there at some point in the not-too-distant future. I don't want to get in the way of that if our house isn't ready by then. Plus, it's unfurnished and we'd have to move our stuff in and I've moved enough in the last seven months to last a while, so I'll wait and see how things progress before I make any decisions.

Kenny and Angelo have also commissioned me to create two pieces of art for their house after they saw something I created for myself as a sort of therapy. Yes, I'm being cryptic, and you'll just have to wonder about it for now. I have my reasons... and you'll find out one day.

All of this happened Saturday night, after the neighbors across the street had an Easter egg decorating party. (For their adult friends.) This was the home of the neighbor who stayed during The Storm, and I got to see the pictures he took of the neighborhood after the flood. They're really something. He's supposed to e-mail me copies and as soon as he does, I'll post them.

Yes, the neighborhood was a happy place this weekend. Except for these things. Remember them from last year? Buckmoth caterpillars. They appear every April and this year they have proliferated such that their numbers almost rival The Great Caterpillar Scourge of 1988. They were so bad throughout the city that year that people walked under the oaks with umbrellas for fear the caterpillars would drop upon them. I returned from work one evening that year to find so many of them crawling on the front of my house that I had to go to a neighbor's for a broom to knock them off before I could open the door to go inside. It was like a Hitchcock movie.

When the neighborhood kids see them they scream, "Oooh!!! Calla-pillas." The pack a really nasty sting. Like fire. (But they've only gotten me once this year... so far.) I've been spending a lot of time at the house working on whatever I can and because the weather has been pretty nice, I've wanted to work outside, but these suckers are everywhere. And I mean that quite literally, as they are also inside the house. I killed five in the kitchen yesterday and found a few near-dead ones in other parts of the house as well. One was on the landing between the first and second floor. Plaster dust is a pretty good desiccant and there's so much of it on the floor throughout the house that it zaps them if they inch around in it too long. They're getting to be about 2" (~5 cm) long now, which means it shouldn't be much longer before they disappear into the soil to pupate. I can't wait.

In other news, State Farm's engineer finally came and in our chummy conversation, he ended up giving me some valuable information on things the insurer should have paid for but didn't, and he advised on what I need to do to get it. And though he's not supposed to share his evaluation of my house with me, he did hint that they only thing about my engineer's report he disagreed with was the part about replacing the entire roof. I don't care about that anyway because I can just get it fixed and it will be fine. And I was told by someone else that there are also so many law suits out there that it's more likely the insurance company will address the foundation, but only as a basic repair and not the kind my engineer recommended. That will do. As long as I can get the place fixed.

One last thing about the house- something I just noticed yesterday when I went on my balcony to water the plants. My bedroom windows have shutters which I closed before we evacuated. Apparently the wind and rain were so intense during The Storm that they blew the paint off the upper louvers of the shutters and onto the top of the windows. It looks like I put a chemical stripper on the paint, they way it's rippled and buckled. (If you click on the picture, you can see it better in the enlarged version.) I'm so glad I wasn't in that house when the storm was raging. I can't imagine what it must have been like, especially with all the cracks and shifting on the foundation.

I hope this week will be bringing us all lots of good-different things.

5 Comments:

Blogger Deviant said...

Hey i can't post a comment! Grr.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Deviant said...

Oh nevermind.

I was going to say, gay wedding! Sounds very cute, I want to see pictures. Jeez, I can't even hold on to a guy for a week, much less hold a gay wedding (to my credit though, a lot of the paired up gays I know are ugly).

And the caterpillar thing is just entirely wrong to me.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Addict said...

You have awesome neighbors... and they are equally blessed to have you!
If you would like the help, let them help... they are in the same boat as you and no one understands the situation you are in better than someone who is there! :)
Have FUN with the ceremony, sounds like it's going to be wonderful!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Wesley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Wesley said...

Awesome article! I knew there was a reason I liked you so much! Congrads on being selected to do the ceremony! If I'm still living here, and can actually keep a boyfriend for longer than a month, you'll be the first I'll call to wed us!! ;)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home