Thursday, February 23, 2006

Insurance Ill-Logic

Although I completely understand that everyone is sick of this stuff, I need the therapy. So pretend to be interested in this latest bit of logic exhibited by my insurance company.

Subject: Funk-Infested Refrigerator

I told the story about how we struggled with getting the disgusting refrigerators out of my house. One was old and one was brand new and both were being used before the storm. Here's the rest of the story.

Because we blew out the wheels on three different hand trucks, we had to "walk" the two refrigerators out to the front porch, making nasty scratches on the hardwood floors. And we left them there. There was no way to move the machines any further, but I was at least glad to have them outside. And the next day, they were gone.

The insurance companies were telling us that the funky refrigerators would not be covered because they were not broken. They were just disgusting and smelly, but they could be cleaned. Me, my mother, my brother and two of my friends were told this (all of us with State Farm) and so was Renard (from a different carrier.) So, all but one of the aforementioned folks dutifully cleaned the machines, and cleaned them again, and again, ad nauseum (literally), until weeks later when the funk and the persistent fly larvae (AKA maggots) finally disappeared. Before my turn came to deal with this issue, I had been having conversations with the refrigerator veterans about whether or not to even try cleaning mine, but as it turned out, I never had the opportunity because both refrigerators disappeared from my porch and from the neighborhood. They were not taken by the Department of Environmental Quality for disposal (they would have had to have been on the curb for that and surely my neighbors' fridges would have been gone, too,) but probably by some enterprising chap with fried olfactory nerves.


So, I asked my nice adjuster fellow about how this would be handled and he said I'd have to file a looting/theft claim. So, I did and the adjustor for this claim called me today. But get this- he told me that he doubted they'd pay anything for my refrigerators because they'd be worthless. Well, obviously someone thought differently when they chose to take mine. (I can understand taking the new one, which was stainless steel and still in its protective wrapper, but I don't get why they took the old one.) And how can they claim that they had no value when they previously told us all that there was nothing wrong with them that a little cleaning wouldn't fix. Uh, you can't have it both ways. But how much do you want to bet that they'll try.

(In the picture, you can see where we hammered the handles trying to get them off so the fridge would fit through the doorway. The stainless steel is covered in a white protective film.)

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Is your insurance a "new for old" policy meaning that regardles of the age, you get a new appliance?

There are so many of you in this situation, although it doesn't help you in the short term - have you considered a class action against the insurers not honouring your policies. There must be some greedy legal eagles around just looking for class action, pro bono?

Keep venting. If nothing else it is making me feel thankful for my falling down house (cracked from neglect, but habitable). And if it is therapy for you, even better :)

2:40 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

As unenviable as it is, your venting definitely make the rest of us feel the old, "there but for grace, go I" syndrome. I for one seek to find out how you are and how your holding up, because worry is the meager sustenance I can offer.

11:09 AM  
Blogger addict said...

Talk away.
We are always happy to listen.
Blog therapy totally rocks!

The insurance company is clearly on crack, I'm sorry they are adding this run-a-round on top of everything else.
Like you need *this* to top everything off...
Hopefully if you talk to enough people in the company, you'll reach someone with both a brain and some authority...

1:37 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Oh, *this* is nothing compared to my latest news. The next theraputic post is forthcoming...

And thanks so much for being tolerant of my need to get it out!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home