Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This Year's Christmas Card (if I actually sent them, which I never do...)


This Year's Christmas Card
Originally uploaded by LisaPal.
Orange Xs (and sometimes other colors...see additional pic below) were painted on all the houses in the flooded areas of New Orleans after they'd been checked for victims. Sometimes the Xs had other information in the quadrants, noting the rescuers' particular findings. (See card #2 below for an example.) My neighborhood was one of the last to be searched, probably because we were near the outer edge of the flooding. By the time search and rescue teams got there, the flood waters had receded and my neighbor, who had stayed behind, informed the nice volunteers canvassing our block of who stayed and who was gone. He kindly requested that if it was necessary to mark our houses with an X, (orange spray paint) that it be done on the sidewalks in front of the houses or on the telephone poles rather than on the houses themselves. They complied. I appreciate that. Now I'll only have to figure out how to remove it from concrete.

(That's the shadow of the wrought iron gate in front of my house, and the rear, upper floor of the house in the lower left-hand corner. )

Remember, you can always click on the Pictures loaded from Flickr (orange X) to see a larger version.

6 Comments:

Blogger Oliver said...

Hey Lisa. I really enjoyed your Christmas carole and linked it from the inspiration it gave me to post my morning therapeutic ritual of longing for and logging on to the real world to see if overnight while I slumbered in Arab lands, something else has disappeared by the hand of man or nature--buildings in a New York, the jewel in the crown of the Mississippi.
Guess that bumper sticker in the 70s was right--shit happens then you die. Happy holidays anyways.

3:35 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

I feel ya, my brother. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Dominique said...

I like the pink one. I think there would be a market for these - for all those holiday cynics out there (including myself).

9:50 PM  
Blogger addict said...

I haven't been by in a while... but you cross my mind often.
I sincerely hope that the joy and peace of the holiday season sneeks up and gives you a HUGE HUG!

11:55 PM  
Anonymous 12-14 same anonymous said...

Have you been to see a Doctor? While your medical "benefits" are still good? Still thinking about you and wishing I could get this darn magic wand to perform the grand sweep. Do take care.

1:28 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Well, no, I haven't been to a doctor yet, but it seems like the rate that my hair has been falling out may be slowing to a more normal rate, which leads me to believe that it's been stress-related. I read that there's a latency period of about 2-3 weeks, which makes sense because we've been out of Keswick for a while and the decision to return to N.O in mid-January was made a couple of weeks ago. Getting past these things has resulted in a tremendous reduction in stress.

I know I still should go, though. It's just tough when you don't know anything about any of the healthcare providers in the area. I've had a few recommendations, but none of them accept Medicaid. I know... I should stop making excuses and address this next week.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home