Tuesday, September 06, 2005

One Huge Favor and One Small One

I am on dial-up. Sooooooo Slooooooow. And there are many things that I simply cannot access. Google Earth is one of those things. I'm told that one can view "before and after" Hurricane Katrina images from this site. I cannot do it with the connection I have here. Could someone please look up my address and post the result somewhere and leave a comment telling me where I can view it? There is a BIG tree beside my house and it may obstruct the view, but I'd be happy to see anything. The side street is high and I'm hoping it's not flooded, because that will give me some indication of how high the water is in front- and it will be good news if the side is dry. My address is:
8238 Cohn St. New Orleans, LA 70118

A million thanks!

Second request: I need you guys! I know 2 people here, that's it. I have a terrible fear of imposing and becoming a burden to them so I try to stay out of their way and to keep my kids occupied without disturbing them. I have little contact with my family and friends who are spread out all over the country and many of us are still trying to find each other using phone lines that are not completely reliable yet. None of us have money, we've been gobbling up cell minutes like crazy and are reluctant to keep using more without knowing how we will pay for them. (I have not been able to get through to FEMA or Red Cross or my insurance company at all yet) . I have so little contact with my support network and I am feeling lost. I need you guys! I live to log on once a day and find some kind of comments or messages from you all. Please jot something- anything- in the comments section. Ask me questions, tell me a joke, leave me a link, anything. I feel like I'm losing my mind already. I have no books, no entertainment and only this to look forward to late at night when the phone is not likely to ring. I can't really surf because of the time factor and fear of disturbing my hosts. I have to use my hosts' computer in the room next to their bedroom. There are no phone lines whatsoever in the part of the house where we are camped to which I can attach the laptop and the cordless phone lines they do have are in places that are laptop-unfriendly (kitchen) or are in rooms filled with their personal stuff. I'm sure my state of mind will eventually change, (I hope so!) but right now, I'm feeling very isolated and lonely and oh, so sad.

12 Comments:

Blogger Alley said...

Hiya sweet Lisa,

Although I cannot begin to imagine the difficulties that you are facing, I do know that you are a wonderful, caring, brave young woman who should be proud of the impact that you have had and will continue to have on many people!

Your blog has been both bitter sweet and extremely informative for those of us across the sea in the UK and you are being very widly read as we speak!

Its the individual stories that make the full extent of the tragedy real and you have and continue to do a brilliantly honest job of reporting the facts and the effects.

My heart goes out to you and your family, if there is anything that we can do from this side of the pond, drop me a quick e-mail: Villagepig/at/gmail/dot/com.

Take care hunny!
Alley

7:32 AM  
Blogger compelled1 said...

You're famous worldwide!!!

Do You Know What It Means To Lose New Orleans, By Anne Rice
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/opinion/04rice.html?ei=5090&en=ce2f33f8719dba9c&ex=1283486400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

Here's a good link. I liked this article because she managed to say some things that I have yet to find a way to say.

(tapping into your worldwide audience)
Also, I am completely outraged by the coverage on cnn. Perhaps I am just sick of hearing all of the bad news, but CNN played a vital role in this situation. For several days, the only communication coming out of New Orleans was through news sources, creating this dangerous cycle. These people had a civil duty to pass this information very matter-of-factly, and I don't believe that they did that. They wanted scathing news.

I'll try not to dwell.

I hope that you will begin feeling better. Maybe volunteering (even giving blood) in some way would help. That's the way my freind Jenn in Houston is dealing, and she says it helps her a lot.

Finally, you're not alone, Lisa. Not an hour has gone by without you on our minds. Not to mention the fact that people all over the world are praying for YOU.

You are definitely not alone.

9:42 AM  
Blogger compelled1 said...

In addition.

I tried Google maps and they only have one shot after the flooding, and unfortunately the image in your neck of the woods is blacked out. I'll keep checking it out.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Whitney Broussard said...

Hi Lisa,

So very sorry for all your troubles. My thoughts are with you and your family and Renard and his family.

CNN has some satellite images at http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/hurricanes/
interactive/fullpage.nola.flood/katrina.html that might help.

The Summer's been pretty trying for me too (though in a very, very different way, obviously, and I'm not trying to compare by any stretch). Next time we get a chance to have a beer (not too long from now, hopefully, and maybe at the Napolean House, if fortune permits), I'll fill you in, but my point is that one great beacon in these times for me has been Van Morrison's Astralweeks. You probably know it already but if you shoot me an email and tell me where to send it I'll get you a copy. In the meantime, Lester Bang's review of it is almost as good as the album. You can find it here http://www.harbour.sfu.ca/~hayward/
van/reviews/astral.html

Such a wonderful piece of rock journalism and such a great album. I was never even a big Van Morrisson fan but this has become one of my very favorite albums of all time in a relatively short time - alternatingly depressing and uplifting, much like life.

Hang in there. You'll sort this out and things will get better, though not fast enough for my taste (and yours, no doubt).

Your pal,

Whitney

3:04 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Do you want me to send you some books, now that you are at a location, we can send care packages. Tell me what you and the kids want. I also went to google maps and found it blacked out, but I want to http://www.scipionus.com/ and found out about these points:

Green St. Right next to S. Carrollton is DRY as of 08/31

8532 Hickory (near leonideas) - Water is only ankle deep as of 9/3 in the am.

Hickory and Carrolton, 6 - 10 inches reported tuesday.

I hope you find that helpful. Send me any email techrcg at yahoo dot com so you can tell me the address to send books.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Hurricaid is linking to news and resources about help for hurricane victims.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Whitney Broussard said...

Hi Lisa,

What part of VA are you in? Coincidentally, I'll be staying in Arlington Sat 9/10 - Tues 9/13 for this year's Future of Music Conference. It would be great to see you if it was convenient. If you're interested in attending FMC, let me know and maybe I can wrangle a scholarship for you out of Jenny. They are very sensitive to the situation in NOLA. With all the music people there, maybe there would be some opportunity for you while you try and sort everything out.

Feel free to email me if you'd rather take this off blog.

Best.

Whitney

4:21 PM  
Blogger piu piu said...

2 discussion websites for u lisa-

http://www.matthewgood.org/mblog/index.php

and my sis-

http://www.miminewyork.blogspot.com/

sounds like things are now moviung in terms of aid. the rest of america and the world- all the decent, normal, but amazing people are the ones that have mobilised things. stick in there. youre out, and you need to relax a little if you canx

5:12 PM  
Blogger Claypot said...

Hi Lisa!

Hang in there. I sent you an email offering to send clothes/books etc now that you have a mailing address, I don't know if you got it or not. Email me on zambiansky AT hotmail DOT com and let me know your address. Have also put some more money on Paypal. If you need something just ask. Everyone's rooting for ya!

12:34 AM  
Blogger Claypot said...

Lisa - please email me with your address, or details of a bank account where I can do an international transfer. F*****g paypal keeps bouncing my payments.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I found a website that will tell you the flood conditions of any place in NO, http://mapper.cctechnol.com/floodmap.php

The current conditons for your house is Approx. Water Depth: 2.1 ft. at street level.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Ingrid said...

Lisa -

Please e-mail your mailing address to me at havneraas/at/gmail/dot/com.

I would like to send some things for you, Alex and Rachel. Please let me know if there is something in particular that you want/need.

I am overwhelmed by the candor and humanity in your blog posts. Keep writing, Lisa. It's therapeutic for us readers as well.

Love,
Ingrid

p.s.
Is Willie OK?

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home