Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Refugee Report #9 -Proof that God Loves Homosexuals

Some brilliant Mac user from the Apple Addict.com site known to me only as JD MacMan, took one of my all-time favorite Far Side comics and updated it in a most fitting manner. And I feel it is my duty to point out that we now have a strong argument that God loves homosexuals.

Had the hurricane hit one week later, it would have crashed one of the biggest Gay Bashes (as in parties, that is) in the country, for the extended Labor Day weekend is when Southern Decadence takes place in my once fair city. If God wanted to smite thousands of boys in leather and sequined evening gowns, he would have pressed the button a week later. Some determined revelers even flouted their survival by having a little gay parade in the thick of the trouble.

That's what I love about my city. You can knock us down, but you can't knock us out. We're going to have our fun with or without you. Not that the folks at Repent America didn't try to claim a victory. "Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city," stated Repent America director Michael Marcavage. "From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence,' New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin."

Well, I hate to break it to Mr. Marcavage, but my Wicked City is not completely destroyed. God spared most of the French Quarter --the *epicenter of sin* --of flooding and other forms of destruction, and he even spared the house where they filmed a season of MTV's Real World. (That's got to make you wonder...), and protected the dozen or so defiant revelers (at least one of whom was dressed as a member of The Village People) from the carnage of the lawless gangstas who terrorized the city in the storm's aftermath.

So, there.

Now- a note to Pi on the Mac Situation. No booting in single user mode. Just the startup sound, then an infinite gray screen. I tried to boot holding the option key so that I could select a startup disc from another partition or from my bootable backup hard drive. NO luck. I'd get the correct screen to select the drive, but no drives appeared for me to select. Funny thing- if I touched the power key, it just shut down. Instantly. A friend had a similar problem recently and the ONLY thing that could fix it was Tech Tool Deluxe. Unfortunately, this and all my disks are at home. I took the laptop and the backup drives and ran for my life. I'm considering an appeal to anyone on the Apple Addict boards to send me a copy of the needed disks. I don't want to buy stuff I already own, like TTP and Disk Warrior. BTW, last time it was definitely a directory problem. Anyway, as it stands, I'm dead in the water. Sorry, that was probably a very inappropriate choice of words, considering that it carries a literal meaning for so many back home.

______
This post was a nice diversion for me, if you know what I mean.

5 Comments:

Blogger pi22seven said...

Well, well, well... you're quite the AAF lurker aren't you?

You don't have to ask AAFers, I'll send what you need, though it may take a couple of days.

1:14 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

I will be forever indebted!

3:49 AM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

Sorry its taking so long, I finally found my copy of TTD. :-0

It'll be in the mail tomorrow.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I've been wondering how you are doing. I'm very pleased to learn that you and your family are safe I've tried e-mailing you with no luck. You can reach me at fisk@charter.net...Ray

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Ingrid said...

Can you believe that Paul stayed in town?! I hope your friend and their baby are OK.

Whole Foods doesn't have the thermal carafes anymore. I'll send you something else instead.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home