Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Refugee Report #5- (Relatively) Good News


There are so many things I want to write, but by the time everyone is asleep and I can use the dial-up line, I'm too tired to write. And I'm getting sick, which isn't helping. So, I'll be (relatively) brief right now and in the meantime, I going to be on the lookout for an internet cafe with WiFi.

I found the site and was able to load the map with water depths, despite there being no satellite images. I understand that the depths given are current, which means the water could have been higher before today (it's dropped by three feet at the house of a friend since she reported the figure to me) and I guess at this depth, any disturbance to the water (boats going by, etc.) could send waves that would hit the house's floorboards from below or could wash under the door...waves of toxic soup, that is. Of course, if it was higher, that hardly matters.

I also found this report from somone on nola.com:

Yellow house with side lot on the 1800 block of Dublin has a tree fallen into the roof. Otherwise, just some broken windows on the downtown side of Dublin.Very heavy military presence in the area. Saw no civilians (but it was daytime).

I noted the location given in this report on the map above so you can see how close it is to my house. The blocks are very short- no more than six houses to a block with lot widths of about 30-40 feet. It's so strange to read the sentence, "Very heavy military presence in the area." I cannot imagine this. But this gives me hope as far as being a victim of looting ot goes.

I wish I were not so tired. I have many things to report from the goings on in Virginia. I have such gratitude to convey. I want to respond to everyones comments, but I'm just too tired right now. But I will ask Whitney, if he's reading this, to call me on my cell. I seem to be able to receive calls from outside the 504 area code more often than not these days.

Again, I really want to respond to your comments. Please forgive me if I defer this task until later. I'm just so tired.

8 Comments:

Blogger Claypot said...

(((((HUGS)))))))

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Whitney Broussard said...

Hi Lisa,

There are extensive lists of found musicians at this site in case you happen to be looking for anyone.

http://www.createla.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=19

Best.

Whitney

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Whitney Broussard said...

Hi Lisa,

When you get to an internet cafe, you might want to check this out. It's a photo essay on before, during and after Katrina in the French Quarter. It gives a great sense of the feelings in the city at different points in the week.

Probably not a great idea to try it on dial up but I'll leave it to you. It's a total of 197 pix and commentary.

http://tinyurl.com/7bbfq

Best.

Whitney

5:27 PM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

If I remember correctly your house is on piers, with about 5 or 6 steps on a very small hill from the street.

So from street level your 1st floor is prolly 4 feet, maybe 4 1/2 feet from street level which may be enough for it to have stayed dry.

But I can't remember for sure and I'm too tired to think straight.

12:06 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Thanks for the hugs and the links and everything from you lovely folks. I haven't had a chance to find the WiFi heaven I seek yet, but I will definitely peruse both sites ASAP, and I will probably see you in DC this weekend, Whitney, with kids in tow.

Pi, the house doesn't sit on a little hill, but is about 3-4 feet up on piers. (You go up 4 steps to the porch). The front street floods much deeper than the side street, which is much higher than my house. (We've had a more than a foot of water in the back and side yard when the side street was dry.) My cop-neighbor went into the area by boat a few days ago and said the water was up to the top of the porch at that time. The house might be okay, but there's no way to know until I can see inside of it. Whatever the case, the most treasured things were put on the second floor before we left. That's a relief. I wish I had my studio set up here. I need that outlet!

2:05 AM  
Blogger addict said...

Hi Lisa!
You don't know me, but I found you through urbanmuse... I so desperatly wanted to help a "real person" when I found you... thank you for giving me the opportunity to do just that!
You are in my prayers everyday, and in the hearts of many.
I wish I had words to ease your burden, but I know there are none that will make this ordeal better for you.
I am glad you are safe, please take care.
Emily/addict

2:30 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Sometimes I'm criticized for being redundant, but I'm going to say again how grateful I am for all the love and support you all are sending my way, Thanks, Emily, for all your kindness and generosity.I am very moved and almost overwhelmed by the love and kindness of my extended blog family.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home