Saturday, August 27, 2005

There's a Potentially devastating Storm Heading Straight for N.O. and What are We Going to Do?


We're Going To Disney World!

That's right, folks. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. My kids have wanted to go to Disney World for so long and it's just so damned expensive and when we can go, it's usually painfully crowded, as well. But, given the fact that this bad-ass storm is heading straight for us and may potentially hit us in a way that brings about the Dreaded Worse Case Scenario, elaborated upon in this post from last year, I figured we should have some fun, because it ain't gonna be pretty when we get home. The pissy little tropical storm that hit us earlier this summer knocked power out at our house for 3 days. With temperatures in the mid-90s and high humidity, life without air conditioning is an ugly (and dangerous) thing. But it's the inundation that's the real danger. Conditions have to be just so for the Worst Case, but we're in a situation where this is actually possible. And they are telling us that if the Almost-Worst Case happens, we can expect Extreme Hardship for quite some time. If the Absolute Worst Case happens, Downtown New Orleans will become the Venice of the Gulf Coast and the roof of my house (about 30 or so feet from the ground) will be something that careless boats bump into as they cruise the former Uptown/University area. Well, after the water recedes, you'll be able to see a little more than that, but it's doubtful we'd be able to live in our lovely old house again.

So, in the wee hours of the morning, we'll make what's normally a 3 hour drive to the airport in Jackson, Mississippi (let's hope that holds true tonight) and catch an 11:30 AM Southwest Airlines flight to Orlando, where we'll spend 5 days and nights going broke feeding Mickey Mouse's tourist money habit. This trip will cost me 2/3 of what UNO is paying me to teach my class this semester. But, what the hell. We deserve to have some fun. We need it! We haven't had a vacation in years. Maybe I'll be able to find one of my old friends from here who has been employed by Disney World for a zillion years. And who knows, maybe Lasciate will prove that It's A Small World After All, and come visit us in The Twilight Zone. I don't know if Disney World's latest cheapo (budget) resort has WiFi (I doubt it) but I'm sure I'll find a way to check e-mail while I'm gone, just in case. Boy, I hope they at least have broadband.

Ciao for now.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Lasciate said...

Heya, hmm...just shot you an email via devil's advocate.

10:42 AM  
Blogger compelled1 said...

Hi Lisa.

I've been lurking for a while now, but today I've decided to send you my best wishes.

The news isn't good, and that's all there is to it. Have fun, and I've encouraged everyone I know to send all the positive energy they can to NOLA.

Brandy (remember me?)

2:34 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Hey, I hope everything goes alright. My prayers are with you, and if they come true, you will have a WONDERFUL trip in Disney World, and come home to find not only your home, but little to no damage.

I will also send you and email to Devil's Advocate tomarrow.

12:50 AM  
Blogger muse said...

glad to know that you've got plans to get out of there _and_ are going to have some fun too! Keep us posted! :)

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home