Monday, June 27, 2005

D.C.? That's Me


See that visitor in your stats? The one that says "Washington D.C. - Omni Shoreham" with an IP address that may be something like 204.94.250.10? That's just me.

I'm here under the guise of attending the 41st annual meeting of the Drug Information Association. Although there is drug information I could offer from my coming-of-age days in the late 70s and early 80s, DIA is primarily interested in the discovery, development, regulation, and utilization of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology products, devices, and other related healthcare technologies. The organization is composed of over 27,000 industry folk from all over the world, and I think all 27,000+ of them are here for this thing. My real purpose here, however, is to eat as much Ethiopian food as I can between Sunday and Wednesday. It is one of my most favorite cuisines, probably because of the injera, and all the garlic and ginger, and D.C. is the unofficial western capital of Ethiopia, as there are more Ethiopians in D.C than there are anywhere else outside of Ethiopia itself. A whole bunch of these expats are operating restaurants in Adams Morgan, a mere few blocks from the Omni Shoreham, my temporary home away from home. This place is really beautiful, by the way, right on Rock Creek Park. A steal for $200/night on Priceline. (I didn't book this, but I have a better opinion of Priceline now that I'm having this rather positive experience.) Best of all, it has free WiFi in every room, so I'm happily tapping away from my bed at 3:00 AM -ooops- make that 4:00AM eastern time. See? Just like home. (And, my room actually looks like that picture.)

Jay (the doc with whom I'm working on the HIV neuropathy study) scheduled a breakfast meeting with someone tomorrow morning at the totally jive (and quite ungodly) hour of 8:00AM. How dare he??? When will I sleep?? I guess now would be a good time to start on that, huh?

OK. More later...

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Whatever you do in D.C. find out from a local how much a cab ride from one location to another should be and then ask the cabbie how much for the trip before you go, cuz D.C. has this cab zone system designed to rip off tourist.

12:58 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Oh, Richard! You are so right about that!

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home