Tuesday, May 10, 2005

For Love (and Money) -or- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say No

It's possible that I am certifiably insane.

It's not like I wasn't busy enough. It's not as if I hadn't enough diversity in how I earn a living or how I spend my time. Nope. And my friend, Jay, is not in the Mafia, but he made me an offer I couldn't refuse: the opportunity to revisit my past as a clinical research coordinator for a healthy chunk of change, plus some nice fringe benefits.

So, look out all you CRAs, CROs, IRBs and other pharmaceutical research acronyms. I'm coming back. (You didn't know about my secret "other life," huh?) My first study will be related to HIV-Associated Neuropathic Pain. Jay is a neurologist who specializes in HIV and AIDS related neurological afflictions. He knows that a good research coordinator is considered to be more essential to a successful study than the physician investigator. My compensation reflects that. We have more of a partnership arrangement than employer/employee. (I'm working as an independent contractor anyway.) And because this is only one study (for now), it's something I can do on a part-time basis, scheduling patients around my schedule, or vice versa. Actually, he's ready to get an other one started ASAP.

Now, the fringe benefit about which I am most excited is Rosana. Once upon a time, when I had a little more money, she kept house for me -something I have always desperately needed help with. To augment her income, I had hooked her up with gigs with a couple of my friends, one of whom was Jay's then-ex wife. They remarried, then divorced a second time and Jay got Rosana in the end, His current wife, who I only know as Wife Number Six at this point- #6 for short- fired Rosana, which is insane because NO ONE cleans a house like she does. And now I hear she even does repair jobs- she's refinishing the floors in Jay's son's apartment. Wow! Jay's a really caring guy and, despite having lost her impeccable housekeeping services, he continues to pay her so that she won't experience financial hardship. And he's offered to have her come and give me a hand over here as part of the deal! I am ecstatic! (But at the same time, I'm terrified that she might drop dead at the state of disarray, particularly in my kids' rooms.)

So that's the deal. I'll give my final exam on Thursday night, then I'm off to Miami on a 6:00 AM flight on Friday for the investigator's meeting to kick the study off. I'll turn grades at some point on Monday, I'll still be working on business for Kirk Joseph (more on that later), and then back to the classroom in three weeks for two summer classes. Busy, busy, busy.

The big dilemma will be what to do come fall or whenever UNO decides to actually materialize the full-time position that they have been dangling a just out of my reach for quite a while now. It's supposed to become real this fall, but I have not had any confirmation on this. It will be a FULL workload if I take it, which means lots of work taken home. But the research gig is lots less work, a kind of work I love, a kind of work I'm good at, (I was in this business with Rachel's dad once upon a time and he said watching me in this milieu was like watching Michael Jordan play basketball), the kind of work I probably don't have to take home, and the potential to make twice as much or more than UNO will pay me for full-time work (albeit for a 9 month appointment.) And Jay is easy to work with and he's flexible and he's a night-owl like me and often doesn't do morning clinic hours, but works into the evening. I like that.

But I'll be some busy in the next...several months. I've always said that the more I have to do, the more I get done. It's too easy to slug-out when the load is light. I guess I'm going to be living this for a while. Oh, one day at a time, I suppose. Right now, I'm sick AGAIN, thanks to lovely little Rachel and the germs she and her schoolmates and playmates so generously share. She gets it first, I get it the worst.

Well, that's all the news that's fit to print right now. I need some sleep....

5 Comments:

Blogger pi22seven said...

And here I was thinking that you had too much to do already...

Congrats on the new gig!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I vote for certifiable.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Lasciate said...

Sanity has always been relative.

10:28 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Hooray! Lasciate is back! And here, my three most relaible "commenters" have commented. You guys don't know how much I appreciate that, particularly given my penchant for reading but not commenting. For this, I thank you!

Now, about the sanity thing, you're quite right, Lasciate. Sanity is truly relative, like most things. But I have a saying- an original, I might add:

Sanity is the mother of convention.

And no one has ever accused me of being conventional...

7:56 PM  
Blogger Lasciate said...

That saying is remarkably clever (so I'm remarking on it, hehe).

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home