Tuesday, March 22, 2005

A Post With Updates, Long Overdue.

Richard, you've uncovered the secret to pushing me to action. All you had to do was tell me that it was time for another post for me to do it. Please remember this because I will likely need that kind of prod again.
I owe what's left of my readership an update on many things, so here I go:

Item #1- The Exodus
I was dead serious and rediculously cryptic about this way back when, when I posted about the post-election departure. I invested an inordinate amount of time to research and analysis of the possibility of moving to New Zealand. Though challenging, it proved doable, but it caused such upset and consternation, and in some cases, outright ire among friends, family and loved ones, not to mention the emotional toll it was taking on me, that I bagged it.

The degree of upset I was experiencing over the whole thing, election included, was taking me too far away from my preferred state of life, that state of irreverent and defiant happiness -the kind that doesn't shake off easily, no matter what the situation; that state that, when life does manage to jar it loose, allows me to restore it in little or no time. So, I've reverted back to my devil-may-care attitude of faith and trust that has served me well through all kinds of difficulties so far. Faith and trust in what, you ask? In whatever it is or whatever you want to call it that has allowed me to survive life's slings and arrows with the ability to restore myself to wholeness; that thing that allows me to always see things differently and to remember that I am never without that choice; that thing that lets me only take the love and the lessons from life's experiences and leave the rest behind.

#2 Little Things
Alex is not a little thing, though he once was my little boy and neither were the problems we were having. Happily, he's doing much better with everything now. An acknowledgement and heartfelt apology from his dad for being a weak imitation of a father, karate lessons, and therapy are among the things making a difference -and even one of those old 1950's social guidance films at the Prelinger Archives, a site I found via one of Richard's blogs, The Pedantic Pundit, may have helped.

#3 Sick Things
All of us, on and off, still. I have managed to bring the latest bout of respiratory woe to the point of pneumonia and I am still recovering. I can't remember the last time I was this sick or this weak. I have never missed a class as the result of any germ until this one. To top it off, New Orleans has a zillion old oak trees and everything everywhere is dusted with a pale green coat of oak pollen. It's so warm and humid here right now (not yet hot, but it was cold a couple of days ago and just as likely will be again before long), that I've resorted to opening the windows and running the huge attic fan. So, now the fan is sucking all of the pollen from the huge oak tree that looms over the house, into it for us to breathe. This is not making respiratory health an easier achievement, by any means. So, we all continue to cough and sneeze and blow while we wait for it all to blow over.

#4 Big Things
Well, I have managed to break my solemn vow to never again take on another full-scale management client. I got a call from Sheik Rasheed, the bandleader of Unit One (the now defunct combo with which I used to sing), who all but got on his knees and begged me to take on Kirk Joseph. (That link goes to the Google search results for now, until I get the site up.) Because I love Rasheed so much, because I actually know the market for this music, because Kirk, his band and his material are truly (in my humble opinion) great, and because I'm so weak-willed when it comes to saying no to requests for help, I said yes.

What makes this not just a big thing, but a huge thing is the fact that he came to me at the beginning of a solo career, with an impressive resume and lots of dues paid, an almost-finished CD, and absolutely nothing in place to get the ship built and launched. This means, all at once, I'm charged with the tasks of:

1) Creating all the promotional materials
2) Culling together all the press, photos, quotes, etc. together from the ends of the earth
3) Photographing Kirk and band (there are lots of photographs of just Kirk by himself or with other groups out there) in various settings and then photo-shopping in the band members who couldn't make it when the pictures were taken
4) Finding the right booking agent
5) Negotiating the local gigs and the works in progress, such as other recording sessions and a production deal in the works for Kirk
6) Doing the cover design for the CD
7) Obtaining licensing for the two non-original songs on the CD
8) Getting the co-writers in the band who are not set up with BMI or ASCAP taken care of
9) Working out all the CD manufacturing details, including financing
10) Arranging promotion for the CD release
11) Creating band agreements to define the relationship between Kirk and the group as it relates to revenue from live gigs, CDs, merchandise, etc. (He wants to be fair and cut them in).
12) Setting up the accounting system for all of the above
13) Taking care of all the details of getting a website up and running for him
14) Taking care of a zillion other small details, too numerous to mention
To say it's a mind-boggling array of tasks is a huge understatement. Plus, I am teaching and will have a full load this summer. It's critical that I get everything set up to run smoothly now.

I have an intern who is just as busy as I am, it seems. But, working best under pressure, I'll get it done.

And with all that, I will sign off for now, but I'll be back soon. And if I'm not, you know what to do.

9 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I'm glad I was able to help push you over the edge, your a good reflective writer and I look forward to seeing what you have to say.

#1 Yes you were extremely cryptic, New Zealand seems like a nice place. I suppose in the blogsphere it doesn't matter where you post from, but I'm glad you stayed to fight the good fight.

#2 I'm glad things are smoothing out for you on this front, I have found with my four year old that things go in waves, and each wave is different from the last.

#3 Erin and I have been trying to recover from our colds all winter, now that spring has sprung and hayfever has begun it's just a matter of time before things turn back to normal.

#4 You aught to consider blogging the details on the work your doing, I'm sure there would be a very wide audience for that.

With all that said I have one little piece of advice to add. Find time to nourish yourself psychologically, it will always get you through that ever hungry desire for more time.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anthony Daniels said...

Hello Lisa :)

Hopefully you will remember me, this is Anthony Daniels, and I took you Music Management class a couple of years ago. I remember you having such an intresting class and an even more intresting business behind that, that I never forgot you.

I'm writing because a lot and a little has changed since your class. A lot in the band Ive been fronting - The Reggae / Ska Conspiracy, and a little as far as musical expansion with them. I read your last blog (#3 especially). I wanted to talk to you about your business, and the help you could possibly give my band beyond UNO, Cafe Brasil, and the Mermaid :) I hope that I get to talk to you soon, and that you would consider us. I will look for you when school starts again (if you are there), if not, you can reach me @ unorthodoxtiger@yahoo.com

Hope that you get well soon!
Anthony Daniels

12:59 AM  
Anonymous anthony daniels said...

sorry, that number I meant was # 4, but I guess you know what I meant :)

1:30 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Ok, it's time again for another post. Just breathe and type.

12:15 PM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

STOP PRESSURING HER!!! LOL

8:59 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Heheheh! Now, now, fellas!

Thanks, pi22sevenĀ (or can I use your real first name???) for coming to my defense, and thanks, Richard, for staying on me, as requested!

Richard, I actually planned to take you up on the idea to blog Audible Vision's vision-into-reality, but I've been on a NON-STOP scuffle, with so much to do in so little time. I will post as I can, and now that the biggest monkey is off my back and on it's way to the manufacturer, I may be able to post more regularly.

Now, to Anthony Daniels- how nice to hear from you! I do hope you check back here for this message. I'd love to talk to you, and hope to do so soon, but I'm a one-woman show right now and I'm single-handedly doing the work of about 10 people. I have more on my plate than I can eat in a sitting. In addition, I swore off artist management a while back and only returned for this project. The reasons are stated in the post. I don't want to end up with any more of a workload than I already have. Ideally, I'd like less of one. I can't take on the labor, but I'm always willing to give you any advice you might need that I can provide.

Okay, everyone. now get back to work.

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anthony Daniels said...

Hey Lisa, this is Anthony. Other than this, what would be the best way to get in touch with you? You can reach me at the link in my name, or, what are your office hours looking like?

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lisa,

You are really getting a little crazy with all this pity partying
I'm SURE it wasn't that tough with Kirk and the Band after all I was there

1:57 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Pity partying???

Why? Because I was explaining to my readers what my workload was like? Where is the, "oh, poor pitiful me" part?

You see, I hadn't posted for a while and wasn't sure how much time I'd have to post in the future and wanted my readers to know why I hadn't posted inn so long (pneumonia is no small thing, either) and what was going on in case there was another long absence from the blog.

And if you were there, (you don't identify yourself, so I don't know who to what degree you were,) you should have had some idea what the workload was like for me when I posted this. But then again, the bulk of the work didn't take place on the gigs, and no one was "there" while I sat up all night working on the management items PLUS, all the artwork and prodection elements of the CD. Oh, and I had another job at the time, too -teaching at UNO -in case you forgot.

If you want to take me to task on all this, then go ahead and identify yourself. And while you're at it, ask me about how Kirk screwed me out of more than $1000 after the hurricane. And, ask me about the money he has that should be going to members of the band who appeared on the CD. Maybe we should get all the members of the band togethr and have one big "pity party" about that.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home