Friday, January 21, 2005

Slacker Fest Ends With a Sigh


A sigh of relief. Ahhhhh. Boy, I needed this.

I can't believe my last post was on December 18th! Oh, how time flies. What's even more humbling is that you, my beloved blog brothers and sisters (and you know who you are) didn't give up on me after all this time. I accidentally hit the link to my stats page today and really didn't want to look, but I did anyway. I was shocked and humbled beyond words to see hits from familiar places every day. You guys didn't just bag this blog! You've actually been checking in to see if I'd ever show up again! You all are truly among the highest of the high beings on this planet and I feel so...so... ugh!!!... undeserving, especially after my protracted abandonment of everything and everyone here. And I've been feeling so bad about not posting and not reading, but.... but.... but.... (Oh, how I hate the buts!)

You deserve an explanation.

I needed an intervention. Info junkie that I am, I was consuming too much of the unhealthy kind and it was beginning to consume me. Everyone around me agreed. But because everyone knows better than to get between me and my Mac, no one intervened. So, I had to resort to an old tactic and put myself back on a media embargo for a while, this one more severe than ever, as it included all digital communication media as well. This is not to say that I eschewed the web all together. (I don't think this would be possible for me to do. I am, after all, quite addicted.) But I quit reading news, blogs, and gave up e-mail completely for WEEKS!! I can't tell you how nice that was. But there's always a price. However, it was worth paying.

Here's why:
I am all about love, folks. This last year, (as you well know), has been filled with worrisome things. And if you subscribe to the notion that fear is the opposite of love, then you can see how this might begin to invert my sense of self and my natural state of being. I was living more of my life from my head rather than my heart and more decisions were being produced and evaluated from that place alone than from my gut, which always knows best what to do with what my head collects. I was also spending too much time in the state of righteous indignation, which, as unbecoming as it may be, can be good fun and quite satisfying in small doses. But you know what they say about too much of a good thing... And it was becoming quite a drag for every else as well. So, I gave my head a break and let the other parts of me have their fun for a while. I'm feeling much happier now.

I've got some personal news updates to deliver, but I've decided to try to be less long-winded in these posts. Less is more, they say. So, we'll see if I can actually deliver more in smaller bites.

I have a lot of reading to do as well. Some of you have been rather prolific. In any event, I've missed you, one and all.

Thanks for sticking with me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Yeah! Welcome back! As I've said I've missed you and your keen eye, and cognetive wit. I hope you enjoyed your time away, it's good remember to live life refresh yourself. Quit your self-effacing mumbo-jumbo, of course you deserve our attention and devotion, we like what you have to say, we like what you bring to the "table" of course we'd check in on you. Now you better get to work, you've got about 200 posts to catch up with me over at EE (tell me what you think of the sidebar stuff). Anyways, I'm so glad your back, I can't wait to read what your refreashed self has to say.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

P.S. The Barbie pictured above is the "I'm to young for the sixties, but the fashions are hippy coool (hippies are hip huggers, right?)"

11:40 AM  
Blogger Oliver said...

Paradise with its ups and downs. Eden of arses and amours.
Hello from Oman. Ohman. I saw three seasons from one location. I'm a gonna settle down fer a bit. Oman. It looks like a backwards California.

Oh, I think I remarried again. If a David O. marries in the wilderness and nobody is around to witness it, does it make an annoyance? The real question to ask is not for how long have you been, but for how long will you be?

11:50 AM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

Welcome back.

Now get back to work slacker! ;-)

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:07 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Comments on the comments...

Oh, I'm going to ride for many miles on such lofty ideas as a keen eye and cognitive wit! That's powerful currency! Plenty enough to buy my renewed verve for blogging. I'm glad to be back, but I'm going to ease myself into the groove. But look here, boys, if you keep calling it work, I'm gonna run for the hills!

I doubt I'll ever be able to catch up with you in post quantity, Richard, but I sure am wordy, despite deciding I would be less so. Can we change the criteria from posts to words? Then I might have a chance. By the way, I love the sidebar. I am still laughing over "...he looks like..." site. I'm going to have to link to that one. Honestly, I don't know how you do it. Between your two blogs, you have so many interesting and useful items. (I'm going to show Ellen Fleiss in this semester's advertising class. Thanks for reminding me about that one!)

Beloved Zaytuni! Oh, man! You're in Oman! Better than being Saudimized, huh? I have to fix my links and get hooked up to your newest blog-thing. I am in need of a major link overhaul anyway. Are we no longer Simply Present? Are we only Discoursing through the Gulf? I shall have to investigate. Planning any trips home? (Assuming you can still call New Orleans home after so long away!) You can bring your possible wife because I'm certain that if a David O. marries in the wilderness but returns home and friends (like me) in his motherland see her shadow, you can expect at least six weeks of real marital bliss. After that, all bets are off and a possible spouse is free to become utterly impossible.

Thanks for keeping things interesting, y'all! (Heheheheh..Just seeing me write "y'all" cracks me up!!)

I'll try to do the same.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home