Thursday, November 25, 2004

Out of Sight, Out of (My) Mind

phallic drop
What can I say? I'm not really out of my mind, but I liked the opportunity to use it in the title.

I have actually tried to post several times, only to have some occurrence impede my efforts. And the list of impediments seems endless -among them: Blogger's acting buggy or my browser crashes or someone calls and needs my ear for some lengthy expository ( and there has been a lot of that lately) or my 16 year old is melting down (again!) or I have a house guest or there are other friends in town that desire my company or I get to my laptop and end up stumbling upon some wretchedly addictive game (addictive because it's so delightfully mindless) or I slip into the indulgence of my latest preoccupation -researching my escape plan from these Divided States. (More on this later... The subject is covered in one of my many blog drafts that didn't made it to post.) And then there is work...and the time spent in avoidance of work.

Before writing this post, I was down in my studio recording after having found some rough tracks of song I wrote and completely forgot about. And I actually think it's good. I love it when things like this happen. Apparently, I was in one of those states of mind when something is bothering me and I actually record a vocal track with extemporaneous lyrics at the same time as the guitar track. This is when the truth comes out. I have a lot of songs with all the tracks put down, and a hook, chorus and melody but no verses. I hate writing lyrics when it's forced (and obviously I won't do it or I'd have more finished songs.)

Case in point: I took a break to see if an e-mail arrived with a link to some resources on a audio software site and found Richard's comment inquiring as to whether or not he should file a missing persons report. That was enough to make me take a moment out to give the assurance that I am still alive and as well as I can possibly be, given the many things on my mind. (And thanks for asking, Richard!) I started this post at 10:00PM.

Before I could finish writing this, my phone rang. It was my friend from LA calling. (She was last weekend's house guest.) These calls are rarely short, and as expected, this one wasn't, though I did actually get to talk a little this time. Since I could neither record nor finish this post while fulfilling my phone-based social network maintenance obligations, I decided to make two giant pots of vegitable soup. The house is freezing insided and I hate lighting the heaters for a number of reasons. So, just as I got the soup going and the kitchen cleaned up, the phone rang again. It's 1:00AM now and Renard is calling to see if he can pick up the groceries I bought for him. I was just about ready to return to this post, upload it, and get back to my musical pursuits. No dice. We are having issues again. We discuss them until after 3:00AM.

Renard leaves and I try to redo the guitar tracks on the song but my fingers are too cold. (It's in the 40°s here, and very dry. Yesterday it was in the 80°s and very humid. November in New Orleans. It's too late and I'm so cold that I must take a hot bath before I can get into bed. (My little bed-warmer is spending the night with her friend down the street.

So, now I'm bathed, I'm finishing this post and I can barely see straight now that the Ambien is really kicking in. I've got to be up in a few hours to head with the kids to the Lake House for Thanksgiving. I need some good, deep sleep between now and then. It's now 5:45 AM.

So much for going back to the studio tonight. When the day comes that I get all these songs in the proper state for copyright and get the tracks shaped up, I promise to send you all a CD (if you want one, of course). Then I hope to ink some fabulous publishing deal and live off passive income in some wonderful place for thr rest of my life. I just hope hell doesn't freeze over first.

Again, sorry I just disappeared like that, but I really did have good intentions. (And if you remember the cliche about good intentions, you know where I must be going when I die!) After this holiday, I'll be back, I miss all you guys!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lasciate said...

Hey Lisa, nice to hear from you again...and Happy Thanksgiving!!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Lasciate said...

Now I need to go figure out how to cook a turkey.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Happy ThanksGiving! Have a great time, and thank you for posting how hectic things are, so we can all commiserate, we all often go through such times, I know I for one actually like to know that others go through similar circumstances. Now I'm off to cook an entire TG dinner for extended family.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for making me thankful for making the trip I made last night, to West Palm Beach Florida. The weather is great here, not even very cool. Don't worry, I'm not bragging.. last night i was contemplating turning around the journey was so draining. However, now I'm here and I'm going to the beach tomorrow!
The long ride up was one of the first times I wasn't driving, and so I read the new Neville Bros autobio from front to back. In addition to really digging their new album, they are becoming a new fascination of mine.. I wrote about this some today on the ThinkResponisbly blog, so I won't go into it here.. Let's get together soon! I know we're both busy, but people like us will never be un-busy. Hope all is well..

7:27 PM  
Blogger anan said...

we miss you, too, Lisa!

... and how come it's so cold down in New Orleans when it's so warm up here in Canada?

now... about those travel plans...

4:41 AM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Thank you all for your Thanksgiving wishes! I miss you all (including non-commenters) so very much and have even dreamed about you guys during this period of lost time- and it's not the first time I've done that. I'm sure many non-bloggers would find something disturbing about that, but I feel a kindredness nonetheless and think it's natural in this environment where many of us have conceded that we actually do care about each other.

I must say, I'm very impressed with all you turkey-dinner-cooking guys! This year I had to let Sam's Club proivide the desserts I contributed to the wonderderful meal that my amazing mother cooked and hauled across the lake for the 16 of us. (But those desserts were GREAT and were a major hit.) AMAZING MOM brought two kinds of sweet potatos, two kinds of dressings (oyster and cornbread), spaghetti and meatballs, two kinds of cranberry sauce, garlic bread, beet salad, and about three different desserts.(I think I'm forgetting something, too.) Then she cooked the turkey while there and made gravy. It exhausts me just thinking about it.

When I got back home that night, the thermometer in my bedroom read 57°F -that's INSIDE, upstairs where heat rises. It was more like 53°F downstairs (and 41°F outside,) so I had to relent and light the two central heat units (one for each floor) and deal with the disgusting smell of burned dust that had accumulated on the burners since the heaters were last used. (Eric and Anan, this should make you both feel even better about being in Palm Beach and a warm Canada!)

Well, the times have been busy and strange and you'll be able to get more of a glimpse into that starting now, as I will do my best to get back to writing more and reading perhaps a little less.

I hope all of you who celebrated Thanksgiving had a wonderful and happy day doing so, and for those of you elsewhere who don't, I hope the day brought you many things to be thankful for!

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home