Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Lisa's Art History Lesson of the Day

BLOGGER ISN'T UPDATING PROFILES AND RECENT POST INFORMATION, SO IF YOU'VE COME HERE FROM THE PROFILE PAGE, THIS IS ANYTHING BUT A RECENT POST! PLEASE CLICK ON THE TITLW OF THIS BLOG IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER TO BE TAKEN TO THE CURRENT PAGE.

THANKS!
---------

From WebMuseum, Paris:
The extraordinary painter Hieronymus Bosch (c. 1450-1516) stands apart from the prevailing Flemish traditions in painting. His style was unique, strikingly free, and his symbolism, unforgettably vivid, remains unparalleled to this day.

Marvellous and terrifying, he expresses an intense pessimism and reflects the anxieties of his time, one of social and political upheaval.

Bosch's most famous and unconventional picture is The Garden of Earthly Delights (c.1500; Prado, Madrid) which, like most of his other ambitious works, is a large, 3-part altarpiece , called a triptych. It is named for the luscious garden in the central panel, which is filled with cavorting nudes and giant birds and fruit. The triptych depicts the history of the world and the progression of sin. Beginning on the outside shutters with the creation of the world, the story progresses from Adam and Eve and original sin on the left panel to the torments of hell, a dark, icy, yet fiery nightmarish vision, on the right.
The painting below is my adulteration of the right panel, depicting Hell. I know it has always appeared on every page of this blog, but I think it is appropriate to make it the centerpiece of one of today's posts. It kind of sums it up for me. I think I'll substitute one of the two Cheneys with a Karl Rove.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lasciate said...

Adulteration it may be, but I have always thought your version to be very, very cool.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

Thank you Lisa so much for reminding me through your thought provoking art and your philosophical commentary that thier are intelligent people out there, and that what people think matters. I've been extremely depressed the last twenty four hours, but I will get over it, and I look forward to your insight.

10:30 AM  
Blogger pi22seven said...

Your version is not only cooler than the original, but scarier!

8:31 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Thank you, thank you, and... thank you!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Garden Kitchen and Dining said...

Hmmm.. I most definitely read a couple of articles about this topic and it brings me back down memory lane :)
The question that I ask myself is what caused something like this to happen or be written??

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home