Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It's Only Erection Day If You're Japanese

BLOGGER ISN'T UPDATING PROFILES AND RECENT POST INFORMATION, SO IF YOU'VE COME HERE FROM THE PROFILE PAGE, THIS IS ANYTHING BUT A RECENT POST! PLEASE CLICK ON THE TITLW OF THIS BLOG IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER TO BE TAKEN TO THE CURRENT PAGE.

THANKS!
------

OK. Bad joke. I know.

Sorry.

I can't remember the last time I had so much anticipation for something. Or such a desire to get through it and be done with it, not that I expect any resolution for many months. But at least the campaign will be over. I never intended for this to become a political blog. But this blog is a snapshot of things that make some kind of impression on me at any given moment, which makes politics inescapable.

And as impressions go, I think I would have to hang my head in shame if I were a republican right now. (That's the nice thing about being independent -you never have to hang your head in shame about things your party does. No guilt by association.) I know that not all republicans are ignorant, self-righteous, bible-thumping members of the religious right, but since Karl Rove (Bush's Brain) has done his market research and determined this to be a valuable slice of the population, the party seems to have cloaked itself in this idea of moral superiority. It doesn't have to be about religiously charged issues. It's a sense of moral superiority, in general.

What amazes me is the apparent lack of a collective cognitive dissonance between all this moral superiority talk and the actions attributed to the party these days. A while back I saw this article, about the guy who staged an incident at a political event and then blamed it on Kerry supporters. He seems to get around. How pathetic.

Then, W gets busted cheating in the first debate. That's right, folks. Dr. Robert M. Nelson, a senior research scientist for NASA and for Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and an international authority on image analysis, concluded he was wired. To Karl Rove, no doubt.

And speaking of Rove, here is a fascinating article from The Atlantic Monthly about the man pulling the strings that make Bush walk and talk just like a real boy. Rove is one nasty, nasty man. Some say brilliant, but no one disputes nasty. It turns out that the recount is a handy weapon in his election arsenal. Who knew? This article is a must-read.

Back to the short list of things republicans should be ashamed of, next comes the infuriating and incredibly misleading "wolves" ad. Attack ads are disgusting enough, but this one was particularly vile in its distortion of the truth. (Here's an article with some ideas about why attack ads work, despite the fact that people say they dislike them.) I don't understand how these ads are allowed to run. If a business ran an ad this misleading about a product, the FTC would pounce and the ad would be pulled and the sponsor would likely be required to run corrective advertising to address the misperceptions it created.

But all this is nothing compared to the recent incidents of voter fraud, suppression and intimidation attributed to the republican contingencies. There are so many articles about so many incidents, like this one from the BBC News, and several referenced here, or all the action in Ohio being compiled here. Far too many to list. It boggles the mind! These are our moral superiors? Hah! If you think something fishy is going in your precinct or you experience any questionable challenge or intimidation at the polls, check this page for information on addressing the situation.

Like I said, not all republicans or conservatives fit the reality-blind, deaf and dumb profile. In fact, I admire the authors who wrote articles like this one. Even The American Conservative had to relent. Some very prominent republicans have revealed their support for John Kerry and their fear of the consequences of 4 more years of Bush.

So, now it's time to get out and vote. If you still have the slightest bit of indecision or questions about which lever to pull today, you might want to take a look at the well-reasoned endorsements offered by these well-respected publications:
The New York Times
The Washington Post
The Economist
The New Yorker
The Nation
The New Republic

The Nation also produced this: 100 Facts and One Opinion

For the rest of us, the Democratic Underground has an amusing summary of last week's fun for us. Be sure to check out how much profit those oil companies are making compared to last year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

KERRY SAVE US!!

I hope all the Louisianians voted for Arthur Morrell for senate. The other 2 Dems are VERY conservative (pro-life, anti-assault-weapons-ban, and pro-war - and they refuse to endorse KERRY!) If it comes to a run-off, though I'd vote for any Democrat over Vitter, who ranks near dead-last in a scale of progressive voting.

The suspense is incredible. I will either soon start planning to protest and move to canada, or to spend a week rejoicing, flower-kissing, and tree-hugging in the event of a KERRY win... ahhhhh

4:31 PM  
Blogger LisaPal said...

Eric, you're right about all the Senate candidates. None of the democrats are very appealing nor are do they resemble democrats. Despite the occasional surprise of independent thinking (as opposed to party hacking), Vitter is still every bit the repulican. Morrell is my choice, but poor guy really doesn't stand a chance. He's never had the campaign war chest the others have had to work with. In a statewide race, you'd better have lots of cash top spend.

Aside from him, I don't think there are any good choices for the people of Louisiana in this race, and that's truly sad.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Lasciate said...

Seriously, this man cannot be re-elected. The truth of it goes to the heart of me stopping my blog, Lisa. There will be more important things to do. Far more important. Not that I need to convince you of that. But if Bush wins, I will do one final post.

I do prefer selecting party affiliation though (in my case that is Libertarian). The reason is this: the primaries are important, and I want my say there as well. Otherwise I'd agree with the (I) registration.

Cross your fingers.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Lasciate said...

And Eric, I truly do respect your thinking, and I agree with the sentiment, and get that you're only half serious. But I, for one, will not abandon my country to the doom that threatens it...no matter what (and wow do I wish I was being dramatic). But I will go down with this ship, fighting tooth and nail all the way. To whatever end may come, this is my country - not Canada - and I will stand for the virtue of its identity until the bitter f**king end.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home